DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Voice Activated Dialing

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    [quote=Mark5047;30651]
    Quote Originally Posted by ss13 View Post
    but I would think the main search glass would pick up on the keywords like CALL, DIAL, & NAVIGATE and search accordingly. Some people this seems to be working just fine for, and others not so much.
    This appears to be exactly the behavior I am getting. If I say "navigate" and use an unambiguous name or address, navigator does a route to there. If I say "mexican restaurant" it googles for mexican restaurants and displays ones that are near where I am (is there any such thing as a town in the U.S that doesn't have a mexican restaurant?). If I say "call foo", if there's a "foo" in my contacts it dials them. If not, it opens the browser with a search for "foo".

I've no idea why some would see this behavior and some wouldn't. Glad I do though
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    [quote=Donkey Hodie;30711]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark5047 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ss13 View Post
    but I would think the main search glass would pick up on the keywords like CALL, DIAL, & NAVIGATE and search accordingly. Some people this seems to be working just fine for, and others not so much.
    This appears to be exactly the behavior I am getting. If I say "navigate" and use an unambiguous name or address, navigator does a route to there. If I say "mexican restaurant" it googles for mexican restaurants and displays ones that are near where I am (is there any such thing as a town in the U.S that doesn't have a mexican restaurant?). If I say "call foo", if there's a "foo" in my contacts it dials them. If not, it opens the browser with a search for "foo".

I've no idea why some would see this behavior and some wouldn't. Glad I do though
    I still love the phone overall, and I am sure whatever the issue is will be fixed.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Shut phone off completely restart and will then work as suppose to. At least mine does.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by utilityguy2 View Post
    Shut phone off completely restart and will then work as suppose to. At least mine does.
    Done that, it didnt change the behavior. Thanks though
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I am in the same boat. Just had my Droid about three days now. The voice dialer app works fine for making calls. In Quick Search or the voice dialer in Car menu, it always brings up a web search. Frustrating.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by uplate View Post
    I am in the same boat. Just had my Droid about three days now. The voice dialer app works fine for making calls. In Quick Search or the voice dialer in Car menu, it always brings up a web search. Frustrating.
    I too was having this problem. I kept thinking that this was an issue with the search settings, or the voice settings.

For me, the issue was actually in the contacts. I did the steps below to correct this:

In the Contacts screen, Select 'Accounts'
    Under 'Manage Accounts, select your Google account
    Check the 'Sync Contacts' option. (Mine was unchecked for some reason.)

If yours is checked, you can uncheck it and check it again to force it to sync. It seems that the voice search actually connects to your Google account and searches your contacts there instead of looking at your local list. I hope this helps someone else out there, I spent some frustrating time hunting this issue down.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    So far mine seems to be working fine. I say call ____ and it dials them. If I say navigate to _____ it goes there. If I just say a restaurant name it googles it then I select which one I want and navigate to it. Love it!
    Follow me twitter.com/jigsawkilr

"When you are in hell....only the devil can help you out"

8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    mOTOROLLA dROID
    when i voice dial someone, it comes up with the wrong facebook picture. if i contact dial them it comes up with the correct one
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    NO voice command??? Who the hell figured that was a good idea? All you have is 8 speed dial choices with ur bluetooth. Man that was dumb...one of the simplest, basic functions MISSING. Now while driving, one has to pick up the phone and thumb thru ur contact list or hit the mic, or hit voice dialer...WOW. Try all that at night on a rainy day. Big points lost for that!!
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Hopefully this will help those that might have the same problem of not being able to Voice Dial using the regular Voice Search (Not the Voice Dialer). I had verified that I was syncing my Contacts with my Google Contacts and it was fairly obvious because I could see all the same Contacts on my Droid. I also verified that my Contacts were "checked" in my searchable items but whenever I would say: "Call John Doe at Mobile" it would just take me to the Google Search browser page searching for: Call John Doe at Mobile. It wouldn't search through the 300+ contacts I had in my Google Contacts.

***The problem is that your individual Contacts in Google Contacts need to be in your "My Contacts" group not just the "All Contacts" group. Once I moved all the contacts into the "My Contacts" group (or the "Friends" or "Family" groups which implicitly put them in the "My Contacts" group), the Voice Dialing through the Voice Search works better that using the Voice Dialer since it dials directly rather than having to select a narrowed down selection list.

I'm so glad I finally got this to work and it makes the voice dialing really worth while.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links