DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal or not?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX

Legal or not?

Just out of sheer curiosity... is it legal or illegal to own/use a rooted Droid? I could honestly care less.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Add me to your Alliance on World War XQE5XK

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    SGN
    It is your phone. It does void the warranty that comes with the phone, but that is not illegal. It is your choice to access root authority.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    VZ's contract says that installing unofficial software is grounds for cancelling an account.

As far as the government caring, I suppose the FCC could come down on you if your ROM somehow caused interference or something. Not sure that is even possible with software. I think it's legal then, but I am not a lawyer.
    Last edited by aminaked; 04-25-2010 at 12:59 AM.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member

Re: Legal or not?

I'm guessing if you tethered a bunch of droids together and created a self aware supper computer bent on world domination it might throw up some red flags. But just a rooted phone, not so much. Voids the warranty, but you can unroot if needed, so eh.

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Re: Legal or not?

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcshannon05 View Post
    Just out of sheer curiosity... is it legal or illegal to own/use a rooted Droid? I could honestly care less.

lol Illegal, dude they arent gonna put you in jail for actually having knowledge to operate a phones fine tuned operations....who knows it is Big RED
  8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    One you purchase the phone it is your phone. It is legal for you to throw it in the toilet, jump up and down on it, root it, give it to someone else, whatever.

It is against Verizon's contract with you to "operate" a modified phone on their network but they have no way of detecting/knowing your phone is modified.

No laws are broken by rooting your phone. Key phrase their is "your" as in you have ownership of said property. Do what you want with it. You do however give up rights to use the phone on their network, rights for warranty repair and such.......
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Have that supper computer make me a steak and lobstertail dinner please.

Sent from me! Guess how for a cupcake. . .
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I see a lot of "you own it" references here and in other threads. In fact, it's not that simple. When you "purchase" your phone in the context of a two year (or one year) contract, you are in effect entering a "lease to buy" relationship with Verizon. Until you pay off the total purchase price of the phone you don't "own" the phone. Verizon retains a lien against it. You may, of course, purchase a phone without such an associated contract but few people in the US do this. It might help to think of a somewhat analogous situation. If you lease an automobile you are entering a similar contract. The lessor can prohibit you from making certain changes to the car or using it for certain purposes, e.g. professional racing. Is it "illegal" to make those changes or engage in that behavior? No. Can the lessor demand that you pay off the lease if you do? You betcha. You are, after all, making a change in a vehicle in which another party retains an ownership interest. Of course in the case of phone (unlike a car) the carrier doesn't want the phone back at the end of the contract. (It has no "residual" value.) That's why they lock you into a contract until the entire value of the phone is recovered. The bottom line is that while you may believe you have "purchased" a phone from Verizon, what you have actually done is enter a contractual relationship with Verizon to pay off the full cost of the phone AND to use their network for a period of up to two years. If you modify your phone and/or use the phone on their network in a way that Verizon prohibits, they can demand that you pay for doing so. P.S. Sorry for the formatting problems above... Browser problems.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  11. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboyd View Post
    It is your phone. It does void the warranty that comes with the phone, but that is not illegal. It is your choice to access root authority.
    +1 ...illegal would be a crime. If you signed a contract and didn't live up to your part of the deal AND Verizon wanted you to pay the early termination fee and you elected not to, then they could take you to court and the court could make you pay. If you elected not to then that would be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by aminaked View Post
    VZ's contract says that installing unofficial software is grounds for cancelling an account.

As far as the government caring, I suppose the FCC could come down on you if your ROM somehow caused interference or something. Not sure that is even possible with software. I think it's legal then, but I am not a lawyer.
    Please provide a link concerning unofficial software. My phone comes with an option to do just this. It lets me install programs not from the market. Are those also unofficial? What specific language in the contract spells out what software is unofficial?

Quote Originally Posted by tcrews View Post
    It is against Verizon's contract with you to "operate" a modified phone on their network but they have no way of detecting/knowing your phone is modified.
    Again...link please. As soon as I installed my first app I modified my phone.

And "no way of detecting" is a very all encompassing statement. Without knowing the exact modification made I'd be hesitant to make such a statement. For example: A hacked device somehow hooks up to Verizon's network without paying for such service. I do not know if Verizon could detect unauthorized access to their cell towers or not. Such a person doing this would most likely not have a contract with Verizon in the first place though.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links