DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: memory usage

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid

memory usage

Anyone know of a good memory mangement app? My phone seems to start apps in the background on its own and I'm looking for something that would allow me to prevent things from starting on there own. The advanced task killer works but I'll be honest I'm lazy and want it done automatically.

3. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    what apps are you referring to? and you know its really ok to let things run in the background on the droid
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid
    Voice dialer, settings, facebook and other random apps. I'll stop a process and 3 seconds later its running again. i use advanced task killer but i constantly have to kill things or my phone runs slow.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    <sigh> It never ever ever ends.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by matrice0056 View Post
    The advanced task killer works but I'll be honest I'm lazy and want it done automatically.
    Well, you'll have to stop being lazy, take some initiative and read the countless existing threads on this topic. It's way beyond a well-beaten dead horse (on every Android discussion site for that matter).
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid
    First, I meant by lazy I didn't want to have to manually kill a bunch of random tasks over and over. It gets old.

Second, Maybe you should have asked if I looked this up before you made your comments. I did look this up but nobody gives a straight answer just a bunch of comments.

"Don't use a task killer, you dont' need it."
    "Just use a task killer."
    "Just root, uit's better."
    "Don't root, stock is fine."
    "The phone handles memory fine, there's no need to worry about it."
    "You need to stop thinking about windows and think more like linux."

Well being a noob how am I supposed to figure out what is the right answer, without asking? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but when I pay $400 for phone and I constanly have to manage it, I get a little frustrated.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I agree with you in principle. frequently I find apps running that I never initiated in the first place. I have a few on my ignore list so they don't have to reboot themselves when initiated. I don't have a problem with taking a little extra time to use the app-killer. I just wish the unneccessary wouldn't kick on in the first place. Let me try a different train of thought, is there a way to control what does and does not initiate on it's own (good example, corporate calendar, which I never use and would love to dump from the phone all together)... while just keeping it simple...

The statement below is true...
    The statement above is false...

My other phone is 2 Progresso soup cans and a very long string!!!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    ..ooh mmyyy god how many of these threads do we have to see every day??

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT APPS RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND. THE OPERATING SYSTEM WILL START THEM UP AND THEN THEY LAY DORMANT IN THE BACKGROUND UNTIL THEY ARE NEEDED. THEY AUTOMATICALLY START UP SO THAT WHEN AND IF YOU DO NEED TO USE THAT PARTICULAR APPLICATION THEN IT WILL OPEN UP MUCH QUICKER THEN IF THE OPERATING SYSTEM DIDN'T HAVE IT LAYING DORMANT IN THE BACKGROUND. THEY USE VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY LITTLE MEMORY WHEN THEY ARE IN THE BACKGROUND AND THEY USE ALMOST NOOOO CPU RESOURCES.

The reason your phone is running slow is because YOU KEEP TRYING TO KILL THE RUNNING APPS!! This causes the operating system to have to load them up again which consumes cpu power.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid
    Ok then why when i don't kill the apps its runs like crap, but as soon as I do it will work?
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    <sigh> It never ever ever ends.
    Yeah tell me about it. Let the OS manage itself. Memory is managed in Android very similar to how it is managed in Linux. It fills itself up as much as it can and caches as much as it can. When memory is needed for something new the cache is dumped first and then unnecessary and empty apps killed by the OS. The more you "manage" your phone the worse things are going to get. IF you are experiencing some kind of massive slow down I dare say it may be a 3rd party app that you downloaded that is misbehaving.

I have tested this ad nauseum on my phone. Auto killers, process killers, manual task killing, less or more aggressive memory management. I have come to the conclusion that after lots of FC's, headaches, etc... that Android in its' stock form (NO memory manager, task/process killer, battery manager) performs the best overall.

EDIT: A better explanation of what those little numbers mean

Finally, along the bottom of the screen are some obscure numbers. If you know how to interpret them, this gives you a lot of information on the memory status of your device:

* Avail: 38MB+114MB in 25 says that the device has 38MB of completely free (or likely used for unrequired caches) memory, and has another 114MB of available memory in 25 background processes it can kill at any time.
    • Other: 32MB in 3 says that the device has 32MB of unavailable memory in 3 unkillable processes (that is, processes that are currently considered to be foreground and must be kept running)
    Last edited by Darkseider; 04-23-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links