DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 months with droid, now my gmail hacked....

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    I have never been gmail hacked until I got this Droid a few weeks ago. Coincidence?
    Same here. Had gmail and the same password since 2005 !
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Stronger passwords, only use secure wifi or 3G
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by montlyfool View Post
    Exactly what happened to me. Got hacked, spam sent to my contacts but not much else. Had 13 digit password, changed it again. BUT, I got an IP address log from gmail.

A mobile address perhaps; from Serbia. 79-101-165-203.dynamic.isp.telekom.rs

Have at it.

I have never been gmail hacked until I got this Droid a few weeks ago. Coincidence?

Chances are the ip address you logged from serbia was just someone using an ip blocker...also it isn't hard to crack a password with the right software. Password dictionary and brute force attacks just take time but they will eventually crack it. Its always suggested to make a password with at least 8 letters and a couple characters in the middle and random uppercase letters. Also try using something that isn't in the english dictionary.
    OG Droid since 12/09
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    Changed it to stronger password and I only use 3G. Maybe a rouge APP?
    Who knows, but not looking forward to it happening again.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The Gmail Help forum is beginning to see more account hacked activity. Report this to abuse@gmail.com, provide as much information as you can. Especially your phone model, OS version and provider.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...d8f40cb6&hl=en

If your account has been compromised/hacked/stolen you will need to check and fix at least all of the following settings.

But first you need to check the bottom of the Inbox and make sure your account is not open at any other locations. If it shows additional locations, open the Details window and "Sign out all other sessions".

Account Security:
    Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Google Account Settings -> Change Password [pick a new secure password]
    Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Google Account Settings -> Change Password Recovery Options [verify secret question, SMS and recovery e-mail address]

Potential Spam:
    Settings -> General -> Signature [make sure nothing as been added]
    Settings -> General -> Vacation Responder [make sure it's disabled and empty]

E-mail Theft

Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Send Mail As [make sure it is using your correct e-mail address]
    Settings -> Filters [no filters that forward or delete e-mail]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Forwarding [disabled or correct address]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> POP Download [disabled]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> IMAP Access [disabled]

Additional Information
    Keeping account secure: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...n&answer=46526
    Protecting your account: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...n&answer=29407
    More account security info: http://www.google.com/help/security/
    If your account is compromised: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=50270
    Someone using your address: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=50200
    Google Employee comments: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...hl=en&start=70
    Last edited by Zandog; 04-13-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Graphic Designer
    Deviant Art Profile
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Re: 4 months with droid, now my gmail hacked....

Tag for further reading. I never had a password issue until after I got my droid.

Better get working on my tin-foil hat ;-)
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    GNX
    Wow, this thread is kind of scary to see. Like others, I have had my gmail account for ~5.5 years, never had ANY account of mine ever hacked, and 4 days ago my gmail account was hacked. I caught it a minute after it started but 30 spam emails had already been sent out. In terms of droid usage I only connect to 1 wifi network(home) and use 3g for everything else.

Ill be following this thread with interest to see if many more people are having this problem.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Try not associating the fact that your Gmail account got hacked and that you have a Droid. I don't think this has anything to do with the fact that you have a Droid, but the fact that somebody has your password.

The reason why there has been numerous Gmail accounts being hacked recently, might be because of the fact that Android/Google phones have been selling more and they require you to create a GMail account
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Tagged for reading later.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by montlyfool View Post
    Ok, I know what the OP is talking about, except I did not lose any of my contacts. An email was sent to all my contacts with some sort of link to a RX website on Friday. I have not been online all day, just using my DROID via 3G only. I even received a txt message from someone else on my contact list that was not from me including the same message. I received the email to all of my email addresses in my contact list. My brother txt me stating he got the email. I noticed in my sent box there was an email sent to all of my contacts, a lot of them bounced back as well and a few people emailed me about it.
    I logged into GMAIL on the computer, changed my password, deleted all the SPAM that was sent and emailed a few folks about what happened.
    Not sure about this, but this happened late in the evening and I was at work using my DROID to access my email only. I only assume it was some type of MALWARE program, but I did not get any email on my phone that I would have clicked on.
    Go figure.
    same **** happened to me sent an email to all my contacts sending them to a Canadian pharmacy website.
    I have a lot of good how to articles about music managing and battery life etc. PM me if interested.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Links