DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone forgetting default "Home" App

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droooiiid

Question Phone forgetting default "Home" App

My Droid forgets that I have selected HelixLauncher as my default Home app EVERY TIME I long press the Home button to bring up the app switcher.

It doesn't matter if I select an app from the switcher or not.. the association is lost and I have to reselect HelixLauncher as default on next press of Home. If I do not bring up the task switcher, the association will be remembered.

It's very annoying to have to select Helix every time after I want to multi-task by using the app switcher. Any ideas what could be wrong?

edit: does the same thing on HelixLauncher2 beta And Home++ so it's definitely a function of the phone, not the app.. maybe I should post somewhere else
    Last edited by tameone; 04-12-2010 at 09:26 AM.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    You might try downloading an app called "Home Switcher." Even if you don't use long-term, it may help you diagnose your problem. In effect, it places a widget on your screen that allows you to select any launcher you have on your phone and designate it as the default until you want to switch to another.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droooiiid
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    You might try downloading an app called "Home Switcher." Even if you don't use long-term, it may help you diagnose your problem. In effect, it places a widget on your screen that allows you to select any launcher you have on your phone and designate it as the default until you want to switch to another.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but when I heard about that app I tried it out as a possible fix and it didn't help. I selected HelixLauncher as my default through Home Switcher, but after a long press on Home key to bring up the app switcher, the default association was lost when I pressed Home again!

Edit: I see you suggested I use it simply to diagnose. The phone is definitely losing the association. That is, Home Switcher tells me my default is not determined yet after I go through the spiel with the app switcher, even if I has just previously set the default USING Home Switcher.

On a side note, the home app (whatever I have running as default currently) SHOWS UP in the app switcher. I don't think this should happen. I.e. if I'm running HelixLauncher and bring up the app switcher, I see HelixLauncher as a running app. I would assume this should be invisible.
    Last edited by tameone; 04-12-2010 at 09:42 AM.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droooiiid
    Here is a simple rundown to make understanding the problem very simple

1) Install a home screen replacement, say HelixLauncher.

2) Press "Home" key, brings up Complete Action using box

3) Check "use by default for this action", select HelixLauncher

4) Single pressing home now, while doing anything on the phone and in any app, will return me to home without a problem.

5) Long press "Home" to bring up app switcher (I see HelixLauncher listed)

6) Single pressing home now will result in the phone asking what I wish to use to complete this action.. that is, it has totally forgotten that I just make HelixLauncher the default.

The only thing that makes the phone forget is long pressing "Home" to bring up the app switcher. Doesn't matter if I select an app from the app switcher, if I press "back" button to return to what I was doing, or if I single press "Home".. the association is lost immediately after the long press of "Home"

This didn't always happen, but I cannot pin point any changes I made on the phone that might be causing it. IIRC, it was happening before the 2.1 update.
    Last edited by tameone; 04-12-2010 at 12:11 PM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    When I long press on home, HelixLauncher is not listed on the app switcher. I only see the last apps used. I'm running stock 2.1 and Helix 1.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droooiiid
    I think the problem is something is killing the Home app and causing turmoil. I've been told the Home app should be running ALL the time, even when not being used as default "Home". I have no task killers. I've force closed all applications I can on the phone, but Home is still being killed by something. Any thoughts?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    Uninstall HelixLauncher and things will work better.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droooiiid
    Well obviously, but it's clearly a problem with my phone, not Helix, and I'd like to resolve it.

This didn't used to happen, and now it happens with every home replacement app I've tried. I'm heading towards doing a complete wipe because I can't pin point anything that changed.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by tameone View Post
    I think the problem is something is killing the Home app and causing turmoil. I've been told the Home app should be running ALL the time, even when not being used as default "Home". I have no task killers. I've force closed all applications I can on the phone, but Home is still being killed by something. Any thoughts?
    If you have not already done so do the following:

Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Menu>Filter>All Apps. Select the "Home" app and clear the data and the cache. If you can, clear defaults. Now do the same thing for the Helix Launcher.

Then go to Home Switcher and select Helix as your default. Return to the Helix launcher via the commands above and check to see that its "clear defaults" button is active. (Don't press it.) And do the same for "Home." You shouldn't be able to "clear defaults" because it isn't a default.

If these operations lead to unexpected results, I think your next step is a factory reset. (Assuming, of course, that you've tried pulling your battery at least once during this entire orderal.)

P.S. You have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Helix Launcher, right?
    Last edited by jsh1120; 04-13-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droooiiid
    I've tried battery pulls and all the like before with no luck.

I just tried clearing Data for Home, and following your procedure (and several variations) but the problem persists.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links