DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: No manufacturer warranty a huge deal?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Voyager

No manufacturer warranty a huge deal?

Im currently on a family share plan, Im working on leaving that contract for one of my own. My phone is not yet eligible for an upgrade so I would be using another phone on the plans upgrade no big deal there. Although Im told I would lose the manufacturer warranty if I upgrade then leave to my own contract. So I guess two questions would be is there anyway around that? If not Im going to get the Droid so are there alot of problems with it? Like would anyone happen to know if Id be alright without the m.w?

I would wait until my upgrade but the Voyager is absolute trash and it would be my eleventh one so I dont want to go that route any longer.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    I'd recommend getting the Asurion insurance, or some sort of insurance other that just relying on the manufacturers warranty.

It's well worth the 6 or 7 bucks a month, and you can get a replacement for ANY reason. Accidents happen. Better safe than sorry.

It's a first gen device, so a mfg's warranty isn't a bad thing... there are bound to be lemons
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Voyager
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    I'd recommend getting the Asurion insurance, or some sort of insurance other that just relying on the manufacturers warranty.

It's well worth the 6 or 7 bucks a month, and you can get a replacement for ANY reason. Accidents happen. Better safe than sorry.

It's a first gen device, so a mfg's warranty isn't a bad thing... there are bound to be lemons
    I do plan on getting the higher end insurance but I will not have a manufacturers warranty if I do this by tomorrow like I would like to, for the reason my phone isnt eligible for an upgrade yet and Verizon wont give me an early upgrade.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry-on View Post

I do plan on getting the higher end insurance but I will not have a manufacturers warranty if I do this by tomorrow like I would like to, for the reason my phone isnt eligible for an upgrade yet and Verizon wont give me an early upgrade.
    Maybe I'm having a little trouble following you but why wouldn't Verizon give you an early upgrade? They gave me one and I was a good 8 months before renewal.

I'd suggest calling Verizon, not going to a store, and telling them you're not happy with your current phone and ask what they can do for you? If the first person says no, try again.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    ...I would wait until my upgrade but the Voyager is absolute trash and it would be my eleventh one so I dont want to go that route any longer.
    If you've gone through 10 (!) phones in a single contract period, I can understand why a warranty would be important to you. I can also understand why VZW might hesitate to give you one.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Maybe I'm having a little trouble following you but why wouldn't Verizon give you an early upgrade? They gave me one and I was a good 8 months before renewal.

I'd suggest calling Verizon, not going to a store, and telling them you're not happy with your current phone and ask what they can do for you? If the first person says no, try again.
    I agree. I upgraded 12 months early to the Droid and I got a warranty!
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    If not Im going to get the Droid so are there alot of problems with it? Like would anyone happen to know if Id be alright without the m.w?
    Generally, no, but there are certainly people who have had problems that were covered by the warranty. I'm not understanding why the warranty would be invalidated.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    If not Im going to get the Droid so are there alot of problems with it? Like would anyone happen to know if Id be alright without the m.w?
    Generally, no, but there are certainly people who have had problems that were covered by the warranty. I'm not understanding why the warranty would be invalidated.
    I'm equally confused. I'm not sure why buying the phone in any capacity doesn't garner the manufacturer's warranty. It isn't VZW that loses money if you get it replaced, it is the manufacturer...which is Motorola. Why would VZW care?

Links