DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tethering for dummies

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Tethering for dummies

I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but this tethering sounds like it could come in handy. I did the 2.1 upgrade with the help on the forum, so I was wondering if making my Droid able to tether an easy process. I did DL barnacle from the market but it seems theres more to do to get my droid to tether. Any step by steps posted anywhere? I didn't see any.

Thanks!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    The Pdanet website has all the instructions for their software. Might be helpful.

June Fabrics PDA Technology Group
    --Robert

"Peace through superior firepower" requires actual firepower, not just a trite bumper sticker.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    AT&T SGS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Medman View Post
    I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but this tethering sounds like it could come in handy. I did the 2.1 upgrade with the help on the forum, so I was wondering if making my Droid able to tether an easy process. I did DL barnacle from the market but it seems theres more to do to get my droid to tether. Any step by steps posted anywhere? I didn't see any.

Thanks!

Medman, Did you do the upgrade with rooted 2.1? If the phone is not rooted tethering will not work. I did the 2.1 upgrade but decided yesterday to go to Cyanogen Rom 5.0.5.7(Cyanogenmod For Droid V5.0.5.7 (04/05/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum). This rom comes with USB tethering. On My Droid it runs at about 1.5MB down and 600 Up.

If you have updated to 2.1 without rooting you will need to down grade and start over. Check out this link(How To Root Your 2.1 Droid | Android Community). It is very simple. Best of all with the Motorola Software it eliminates the possibility to brick your phone.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

Thanks!
    Barnacle requires that you be rooted. I am running barnacle and it is cool. But I also run Pdanet. It is self explanatory. But I have a video tutorial here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...-droidmod.html
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg 23 View Post

Thanks!

Medman, Did you do the upgrade with rooted 2.1? If the phone is not rooted tethering will not work. I did the 2.1 upgrade but decided yesterday to go to Cyanogen Rom 5.0.5.7(Cyanogenmod For Droid V5.0.5.7 (04/05/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum). This rom comes with USB tethering. On My Droid it runs at about 1.5MB down and 600 Up.

If you have updated to 2.1 without rooting you will need to down grade and start over. Check out this link(How To Root Your 2.1 Droid | Android Community). It is very simple. Best of all with the Motorola Software it eliminates the possibility to brick your phone.
    I did update without rooting. I was hoping for something simple other that downgrading and starting over though.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Pdanet does not require you to be rooted, and I have heard of several people using it after the 2.1 upgrade.
    --Robert

"Peace through superior firepower" requires actual firepower, not just a trite bumper sticker.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    So, if I did the Pdanet dl to my droid could I say, be in my car with my laptop and use my droid as a hotspot?
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Pda requires you to plug your droid in to your laptop to use it. If you want a hotspot you need barnacle.
    And I hope you were meaning you car was in park in a parking lot while you tether your phone. Just want to keep it safe.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Not really a hotspot as the droid needs to be connected to the laptop with a cable, but your laptop would have internet access.
    --Robert

11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Oops, yep I wouldn't actually be driving the car.

This all sounds pretty straight forward.

Thanks guys!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links