DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wifi tether and windows 7...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid

wifi tether and windows 7...

I wasn't sure were to post this. I possibly should of posted in a windows 7 forum, but it pertains to both the droid and windows 7.

Anyway, I have my Moto Droid rooted and ROM'd with Wifi tether. In windows 7 there is no option to have my PC connect automatically to the Droid. I have no problems connecting automatically to other wifi hotspots, just the droid created one. No option to connect automatically.

Is there a fix for this. Is there some kind of setting I can change in windows to connect to my droid hotspot?

Thanks

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    no luck huh. 80 some views and no suggestions. I will keep looking and post back here if i find a solution.
    If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    Sorry. I have no answer... just wanted to let you know that you're not the only person with this problem.
    Last edited by refriend; 04-26-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: grammatical error
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Does your computer and droid teather at all? Is the problem just auto connecting?

I am thinking about purchasing PDAnet to tether my laptop. I have windows 7. I am hoping that it works.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Julisa
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    Yes, WifiTether works between the Moto Droid and Win 7. I am running Win 7 (64-bit) Ultimate. I have no problem manually connecting, entering the WEP key each time, and designating the type of network. It is a bit more annoying than normal wifi routers which remember these settings between access times.

PDAnet also worked well, but I prefer the tether since it is easier to share my 'hotspot' with friends (no software needed on laptops).
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Unfortunately I also have to do the same thing. With wifi tether, your network name eg: "AT&T Sucks" for mine when I go to starbucks, will always have a trailing number when you connect to windows 7 - "AT&T Sucks 3". That number changes each time you connect, and as a result doesn't save in your laptop's wifi memory. Until there's a new version of wifi tether that fixes this, you can expect this to continue since the recognized name changes each time it is used.
  8. verian
    I don't have a complete understanding of this problem. I have windows 7 64 bit and I have no problem with any rom and every kernel I used. It shows up when I click on the task bar network icon and I never had to do or change a thing on the PC
  9. verian
    Big sorry on that last post I didn't read carefully enough This is true I don't connect auto, I do it manually. I don't think you want this to happen cause you should tether as little as possible.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    I feel a thread about to be blown off course...

In answer to the thread's original topic we seem to have validated:
    - WiFiTether works on Win 7
    - WiFiTether does not behave like a normal wifi hotspot (the settings are never saved in the same name... SSID1, SSID2,.. SSIDn (n>0)

Cheers
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thank you for the info. It helps.

The Wifitether you all are reffering to is that Barnacle Wifi Tether? In the description it says it needs root access and 2.1 OTA removes root. Has anyone who is not rooted and has 2.1 tried it? If yes, what were the results.

If not is there something besides besides PDAnet that is recommended? I found EasyTeather in the market. It seems to have decent recommendations. When I do a search on the forums and the net, PDAnet seems to come up the most. I do want to get into secure websites so I would like to download the best one the first time.

Thanks for your help,

Julisa
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links