DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question about Verizon Wireless and Tethering

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus: Sourcerized
    Quote Originally Posted by GohanBurner View Post
    I have been using it to play call of duty.modern warfare 2. I'm guessing that uses a good amount of data...
    I find it hard to believe that the measly 1mb of speed is enough for that?
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ROM: Team Sourcery!

2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Google Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Cam View Post
    I have been using it to play call of duty.modern warfare 2. I'm guessing that uses a good amount of data...
    I did too until I tried it. I get 3 out of 4 bars of good connection USB or wifi tethered.
    Last edited by GohanBurner; 04-07-2010 at 09:27 AM.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    This thread is very reassuring. I just got worried because I hit 5 gigs of space because I reinstalled a computer and used my phone to update everything.

Something I never do usually.

From reading this thread, sounds like 5 gig won't cause a red flag and their are others who need to worry when they start downloading torrents, and wares, and do gaming... THAT I assume causes red flags.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Google Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddog4DROID View Post
    This thread is very reassuring. I just got worried because I hit 5 gigs of space because I reinstalled a computer and used my phone to update everything.

Something I never do usually.

From reading this thread, sounds like 5 gig won't cause a red flag and their are others who need to worry when they start downloading torrents, and wares, and do gaming... THAT I assume causes red flags.
    Bah, who knows. If something happens then we will report it. Nothing to date though.

Verizon is spool stingy haha.
    Last edited by GohanBurner; 04-07-2010 at 09:50 AM.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Cam View Post
    I did too until I tried it. I get 3 out of 4 bars of good connection USB or wifi tethered.
    There is a thread floating around somewhere about this. But to sum it up it is possible. I use it for my 360 and what you have to remember is that it only actually uses very little data to play online. The system relies more on the game itself and only uses the internet to sync data with everyone else playing.

Also and as far as VZW is concerned about tethering is you need to look at the palm pre they have now. My wife has one it has an app pre-installed that allows you to use the phone as a wifi hotspot supporting up to 5 computers. And we only pay for the unlimited data plan, no extra fees to use it. I called VZW and spoke to several different reps before we used it to ensure we didnt incur any charges for using it, and they all said no, covered by our data plan. Same data plan used for the Droid.
    Chuck Norris was once asked why he doesn't use an iphone, he responded, "Same reason I don't use tampons."
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    BnB made a good point. Just use common sense. I know people who tether off their eris like it is a home modem and have not been burnt yet.
    This is how I look at it; If I set Xscope or Dolphin to desktop user agent I will get the same site as if I loaded it from my computer. Just stay away from torrents. I would not recommend you use it all the time as you home modem. But to tether your netbook for an hour or two is not going to pull more gigs then using your droid (depending on the sites you go to ). I did a comparison for the month I tethered vs months I used my phone and it was not that big of a difference.
    That is mainly because I will run pandora or moodio.fm all day.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch2m View Post
    Also, it seems to me that Verizon could easily tell when the data usage is from a PC browser since browsers identify themselves in the http header.
    Wrong. There are plenty of browsers that can change the browser "User Agent String" to desktop programs. Even the stock 2.1 browser can be made to do so.

There are ways Verizon can GUESS you are tethering, but checking the browser's User Agent String is not one of them.

-Warr
  8. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Actually online games don't use a terrible amount of actual bandwidth and don't need very high transfer speeds.

The big determining factor of the viability of any connection for online gaming is latency. Satellite gets decent transfer speeds but have absolutely awful latency (you're sending your **** through space!). As long as the latency isn't too bad going over 3G then most online games should be fairly playable - and they shouldn't leave too big a "bandwidth footprint".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links