DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No Droid for me because of $20.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr

No Droid for me because of $20.

My family is on a 5 phone family plan. And we have 2 phones with data plans @ an extra $30 each for the phones.... our base monthly bill is $130. Then add all the taxes and stuff and it comes to ~ $160.

So I went to buy my Droid today and the guy tells me that I MUST upgrade to include a $20 a month family text plan. In my entire life I have sent exactly ONE TEXT, and received about 10 texts. ( in about 18 years of having a phone ) Nobody uses text on any of our 5 phones.

I can't justify $240 a year for texting I will never use. Sigh. I am so disappointed.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid Rooted: BB 950Mhz
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaDeuce View Post
    My family is on a 5 phone family plan. And we have 2 phones with data plans @ an extra $30 each for the phones.... our base monthly bill is $130. Then add all the taxes and stuff and it comes to ~ $160.

So I went to buy my Droid today and the guy tells me that I MUST upgrade to include a $20 a month family text plan. In my entire life I have sent exactly ONE TEXT, and received about 10 texts. ( in about 18 years of having a phone ) Nobody uses text on any of our 5 phones.

I can't justify $240 a year for texting I will never use. Sigh. I am so disappointed.
    Yeah i feel your pain it does suck. but you never know you might wanna be sending texts to your friends all day as soon as you get this superphone. Although I'm suprised he didnt say anthing about the mandatory data plan....
    HPF Turbo Stage II Kit:17,000$
    Blue Candy Paint Finish: 3,000$
    DrOiD Kickin' it on the dashboard:600$

Watching your ex and her new boyfriend stare at your bimmer as they crash into a tree.....
    PRICELESS
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Try a different guy at a different store. Maybe you'll have better luck.
    I write Android columns for: Hijinks, Inc.
    Follow me on Twitter!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid of course

or..

Or.. Start using texting. I have it on my family plan with 5 phones. I was anti-txt for a while, but now it's fun/sweet/awesome/etc.

Maybe you'll like it!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I have 4 phones on a family plan with 2 data plans. We do not have the family text plan and no one ever mentioned it. Sounds like your rep is misinformed. I agree with the try again comment.
    --Robert

"Peace through superior firepower" requires actual firepower, not just a trite bumper sticker.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Premium Member
    Agree with the others saying try someone else. All I've ever heard required is the data. Never anything about texting. Sounds like someone at the store might not know what they're talking about.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    He's off. Your Droid only needs the required data plan, which covers your texting, etc.

Your other phones likely have texting included in their data plans, or as a separate add on, check that for your other phones, and go to a vz owned store if possible.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I'll join the chorus. There is no requirement for a text messaging plan. Period. When and if anyone in my family exceeds 1 text per day on a regular basis, I'll consider it. Until then, we pay $.20 per text message.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by MM1 Payne (US Navy) View Post

Yeah i feel your pain it does suck. but you never know you might wanna be sending texts to your friends all day as soon as you get this superphone. Although I'm suprised he didnt say anthing about the mandatory data plan....
    I knew about the data plan before I went in. I have that on our 2 Blackberrys.

Here is what he said: " Because the phones you want to update are so old, you MUST have a family text plan." I was taking an available update on my mom's phone so that I could replace my Blackberrry, which I can't stand. The BB is not available for an update until December.
    Last edited by PapaDeuce; 04-05-2010 at 04:40 PM.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

What I would try to do is upgrade an existing phone to a Droid without adding the plan. Then add a crap dumb phone and swap the numbers. Or go to a different Verizon store or even a Best Buy. I know the BB people have a lousy rep but it is not entirely deserved.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links