DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Secret OTA update

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Secret OTA update

I know it's been rumored that there was a possible secret OTA update that fixed the camera last night. I think this is true and here's 2 more reasons why:

I now have multi-select available on my exchange email like the GMAIL has always had. You can "check off" individual emails and perform an action like "mark as read" or "delete" etc.

I am also noticing that the four buttons at the bottom of my screen are going out before the screen does. They had always stayed lit the entire time my screen was lit before today.

Anyone else see these changes? I hope I am not loising it LOL

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    My barcode reader works much better now...but updated the barcode reader last night pretty late. I thought that was the reason why.

My camera seems like it is focusing today...but I could be going crazy like you are
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    You're not crazy about the Camera. It's working better and that is confirmed. How and why are still debateable. I am wondering about my other 2 observations more though.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    Haven't tested camera but will after class. That said, the other two things have been on or happening with my DROID since day 1.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    The only thing that has changed is the camera and Google has come forward and said why. There was no secret update or anything. The problem is with the code that handles the cameras focus. Somehow the date screws with it and for 24 days it will focus fine, then for 24 it won't, then 24 it will, then 24 it won't, etc, etc. So the date is what made it work, there was no change to the code. It is set to get screwy again around the 10th or 11th of December, which is when we should get the official update to fix the issue.

If you don't believe it, set your phones time back a couple days and your focusing will be crap again lol
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    From an android developer's twitter feed:

Twitter / Dan Morrill: Note to Droid owners: the ...
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid coming soon...
    Google’s Dan Morrill explained that the camera issues have been pinned down to a date-related bug:
    There’s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver’s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it’ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.
    The 17th is the start of a new “works correctly” cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.
    http://twitter.com/morrildl

Already posted (buried pages deep) here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...x-works-4.html
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by brianr0131 View Post
    I know it's been rumored that there was a possible secret OTA update that fixed the camera last night. I think this is true and here's 2 more reasons why:

I now have multi-select available on my exchange email like the GMAIL has always had. You can "check off" individual emails and perform an action like "mark as read" or "delete" etc.

I am also noticing that the four buttons at the bottom of my screen are going out before the screen does. They had always stayed lit the entire time my screen was lit before today.

Anyone else see these changes? I hope I am not loising it LOL
    The buttons have always turned off earlier than the screen on my phone when the keyboard is deployed.

IIRC Multi-Select has also always been available for my exchange account.

I sincerely think this is a time dependent bug. That would explain why some of the earliest teasers about the Droid had no issues with the camera while the later previews and reviews did.
    Update that PRL. *228, option 2.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cssvt View Post
    That said, the other two things have been on or happening with my DROID since day 1.
    This is what I wanted to know. I guess I am imagining it then. LOL

Links