DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How quickly does verizon recycle numbers?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid through verizon
    VERY quickly. I bought phones for the kids, and have spent quite alot of time calling numbers back and calling verizon. One number i called back was answered by a mom of a kid whose friend had the number my nephew got. She said that the kid switched phones not even a month ago. So I guess once the number is back in the pool, it could get recycled pretty quickly
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've got my number about 10 years ago when Verizon was Airtouch (I'm on my 6th phone with them). I still get calls looking for someone else, though admitedly, not very often. I do know that having enough numbers has become a problem since we've been moving from one number per household to one number per person over the past few years.
    Last edited by Rollingbones; 04-04-2010 at 04:56 AM.

The statement below is true...
    The statement above is false...

My other phone is 2 Progresso soup cans and a very long string!!!
  3. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    I remember when I had cingular I got the motorola slvr, piece of crap, anyways, the voicemail already had someone elses message on it .. same with the other # I got at the same time..
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid through verizon

which means

its time to start assigning phone numbers at birth. keep it for life no matter who your carrier is or whether its a land-line/cell. Should solve just about everything
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by brianes99 View Post
    its time to start assigning phone numbers at birth. keep it for life no matter who your carrier is or whether its a land-line/cell. Should solve just about everything
    I think you just re-invented Google Voice.

Seriously, however, the short supply of available numbers is a problem. It used to be that carriers waited a full year before reassigning a number. But the combination of multiple numbers per household and the way numbers are allocated to carriers means that a particular carrier can run short of numbers. And this problem is greater at Verizon than any other carrier simply because they have more subscribers.

If it helps, VZW (and as far as I know other carriers) will waive the fee for giving you a new number if you let them know you're receiving calls for a previous subscriber.
  6. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianes99 View Post
    Until you start getting stalked and want to change your # ..
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    I believe it is a 6 week approximate recycle period for a cell phone number. About a year ago we switched phone numbers on my son's phone, and within a week we had to change it again because bill collectors called non-stop. About 2 months ago my wife and I changed our phone numbers because we moved to a new area code in eastern PA and wanted local numbers. Fortunately for both of us, we do not get wrong numbers very often, maybe once every 2 weeks. Certainly can't complain about that.

You can block 5 numbers from MyVerizon online or calling CS. They block for 90 days and there's no charge for the service. Maybe for some people that will help.

As for the O.P. - it's too bad it escalated that badly. If there were death threats to you, then you know you can file charges against them. Sounds like it was maybe kids doing this. Did they block their phone numbers? If not, I'd start calling them back today, but do *67(then their 10 digit number). It will show as "unavailable" on their phone.

Changing a phone number is always a bummer, but you can always get your number changed due to harassment for no charge.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Hey I will let you in on a little seceret. VZW number recycle period for numbers is nearly immediate. They don't wait 6 weeks at all. Maybe 2 weeks at the most.
    "Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Hey I will let you in on a little seceret. VZW number recycle period for numbers is nearly immediate. They don't wait 6 weeks at all. Maybe 2 weeks at the most.
    Do you work for VZW? When I worked for VZW, it was 6 weeks. Maybe it changed since I left a year ago.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Had the same issue. Was getting dirty pics sent and random calls at 1am. Finally had to return the calls and say "Hi this isnt your friends number anymore......"
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links