DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock vs. Root - Official Stop Bashing Thread

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Stock vs. Root - Official Stop Bashing Thread

Can't we all just get along?
    Root vs. stock seems to be getting like a political side or a religion. I'm sure those subjects are not allowed to be discussed in Droid Forums, so why do we allow stock / root bashing? Were talking about a smart phone here, so lets act smart
    I read every day in many posts where rooters step in and tell us how great thier ROM is and that stock stinks, good for you, enjoy. I have my reasons for not rooting others may have many different reasons, Do not assume because we do not root were stupid. I was writing DOS programs when I’m sure some here were not even in diapers. I'm not here to bash rooters... I’m here to ask you to stop slamming non rooters and enjoy the droid. Think of Droid Forums as a family where you’re at a family event and would not dare bring up something to tick others off… what fun is that?
    Let the flames begin

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid running UD 9.8.0
    Doesn't "let the flames begin" imply that you are asking for drama about a topic that is anti-drama?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    incredible HTC droid
    sorry but i haven't read any bashing threads.if someone doesn't want to root...more power to em, no big deal....and there are some stupid folks that do root
    the ultimate droid
    ultimate droid V10
    dxtop home replacement
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    NeverEndingXsin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    i think its pretty simple but here an analogy, rooting is like having kids, you either want them or you dont want them its that simple. but sometimes accidents happen or peer pressure happens and then you end up with kids.

point is you either want to root or dont want to root or you come on here and people pressure you to root. but just because rooting is far better than stock doesnt mean you have to root
    Twitter? Follow Me @NeverEndingXsin

Google+ Invites? Yeah i got them
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    I have not seen any official threads started saying that the non rooters are stupid this seems like a thread just to stir people up. o well to each there own... (let the flames begin) my point exactly...
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    I don't think the op is saying that entire threads have been started to talk trash on people won't root, but i think the peer pressure mentioned above is probably more what he/she is getting at. I've seen many cases where someone has a stock issue easily addressed while maintaining stock and people come in and suggest that rooting is the best answer.

I get the impression that the op just wants people who prefer the rooted route to not push their opinions on others. Obviously, that's a generalization because not everyone who's rooted is "pushy," but there are enough to overwhelm someone who has no intention of rooting even after learning of all the things that can be done. Also, it stands to reason that someone new to the forum with a simple stock issue probably isn't someone who should be told that they should root. IMO, if you can't figure out how to use basic stock functions, you shouldn't be playing with root access.

I was on the fence for quite a while about rooting before I did it, then I got over-involved and spent too much time modding and tweaking things. I enjoyed over-clocking and additional features and the ability to remove crap apps that I never used, but that stuff isn't for everyone.

The Droid is a GREAT phone stock. I'm actually back to stock now. Started a new job and decided my free time is better spent on other things, so I'm not even manually installing 2.1.

Bottom line, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but please be careful that you're only offering options, and not convincing someone to do something they don't feel they want/need to do.

Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    OKay... My ROOT cellar is totally STOCKed up!!!I'm good just as I am....

The statement below is true...
    The statement above is false...

My other phone is 2 Progresso soup cans and a very long string!!!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid running Ultimate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Kansas View Post
    I don't think the op is saying that entire threads have been started to talk trash on people won't root, but i think the peer pressure mentioned above is probably more what he/she is getting at. I've seen many cases where someone has a stock issue easily addressed while maintaining stock and people come in and suggest that rooting is the best answer.

I get the impression that the op just wants people who prefer the rooted route to not push their opinions on others. Obviously, that's a generalization because not everyone who's rooted is "pushy," but there are enough to overwhelm someone who has no intention of rooting even after learning of all the things that can be done. Also, it stands to reason that someone new to the forum with a simple stock issue probably isn't someone who should be told that they should root. IMO, if you can't figure out how to use basic stock functions, you shouldn't be playing with root access.

I was on the fence for quite a while about rooting before I did it, then I got over-involved and spent too much time modding and tweaking things. I enjoyed over-clocking and additional features and the ability to remove crap apps that I never used, but that stuff isn't for everyone.

The Droid is a GREAT phone stock. I'm actually back to stock now. Started a new job and decided my free time is better spent on other things, so I'm not even manually installing 2.1.

Bottom line, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but please be careful that you're only offering options, and not convincing someone to do something they don't feel they want/need to do.

Although I have not seen any bashing and am a rooting advocate, I am also one the believes rooting is pushed to fast. You have people rooting their droids that don't know how to remove an app from their desktop. That is just crazy. People should learn their phone first. I guess us first day people were lucky in a way since we did not have immediate rooting ability, but some things new people are having issues with is just plain not understanding the phone.

That being said, sometimes rooting IS the ONLY answer for some issues. To not mention it would be wrong and not truly giving an answer. I just say don't root until you know your Droid. If you have only had it a couple of weeks, you don't know it. Believe me. After that, I will stick with my rooting recommendation. That being said, I have never personally removed any stock apps via rooting. That is not to say the Rom I am running has not done it, but I have never just done it because I could. That can cause issues. I don't really understand the need to do it although each has their own reasons.

To the OP. Fact is, rooting does have its advantages and offers new and interesting things that people may not realize. If done smartly it is really a limited risk experience with so many benefits. I have not seen bashing, but will say that many have asked how I immediately send them a screen shot or why my phone is so much quicker. Should I lie? Fact is rooting is the answer.

Good luck to all. Learn your Droid and then do what makes you happy (hint....see my above comment lol)
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I read a lot on these forums, read probably 90% of the pages on the 2.1 threads and I think the "war" is so overated. Yeah some rooters brag about it, yeah some non rooters get offended, who cares. Honestly I think the mods are too quick to react and just fill up the threads with warnings. And the non rooters whine. I don't see a problem with rooters touting what they have, I wouldn't have rooted without their information.

P.S. I rooted last Sunday, finally, and unrooted yesterday to get official update. So I am not biased either way.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    We are DROID owners. Yes "owners". So each of us makes our OWN decision on what we would like to do with our phone.

It's no different than buying a new SS Camero and putting a "super chip" in it to double its horsepower. You KNOW you will VOID your warranty but its your car and can do whatever you want.

The thing is though....you ACCEPT all consequences with your choices you make. Good, Bad, Right, Wrong or Indifferent.

I am rooted.....if my phone burns up and catches on fire and burns my house down.....well....it's my fault. I made the decision.

(for some, they are just scared to damage their Droid, which i understand but for me....if my droid fries...i will just get another)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links