DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 2.1 vs Rooted

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Upgrade to 2.1 vs Rooted

now that some have been able to upgrade to 2.1, is there any difference as to those who were rooted and on 2.1 ???

Like for instance, some apps required you to be rooted....Now that some have done the upgrade to 2.1 without rooting, will those apps that needed to be rooted now work with those who have just done the 2.1 upgrade???

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tat2 View Post
    Like for instance, some apps required you to be rooted....Now that some have done the upgrade to 2.1 without rooting, will those apps that needed to be rooted now work with those who have just done the 2.1 upgrade???
    If an app requires root, it requires root - having 2.1 doesn't change that.

If the app is something that is included with 2.1 (the new 3D gallery, etc), it never required root to run - you just needed root to be able to install it over the existing system app.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. JT3
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    If an app requires root access, that has nothing to do with the version of the operating system. They'll still need root access on 2.1.

As to the other question... Many found the OTA update to be lacking in features compared to the ROMs that were already available, so there's still valid reasons for rooting and running custom ROMs. Plus, you can do things that you'll NEVER be able to do on an official Operating System, like overclock.

Still, the official O/S is supported when you take it in to the Verizon store for support, and even though the various developers have made running a custom ROM childlishly easy, it's still not for everyone. Plus, the official ROM will tend to be more stable than custom ROMs (although that's not necessarily true in every case).

So... which is better? That's totally a personal preference, and not one that I nor anyone else can really answer for you.

UD Theme | Chevy's MV 7-slot 1.25GHz kernel |Baseband C_01.3E.03P
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

rooting and upgrade question

If I root the droid will i still receive the 2.1 OTA update when it is available? Thanks
  6. JT3
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mlposer View Post
    If I root the droid will i still receive the 2.1 OTA update when it is available? Thanks
    If all you do is root the Droid, then yes, you'll still receive the OTA update... although I think it will remove the root access from your phone once you take it. If you install a custom ROM after rooting, then probably not. I think all the major custom ROM devs disable the OTA updates. However, many of them offer their own OTA updates via ROM Manager.

UD Theme | Chevy's MV 7-slot 1.25GHz kernel |Baseband C_01.3E.03P
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Yes - if you JUST root the phone, you will still receive the update.

HOWEVER - chances are, when you root, you are also installing a rom or something, no? Most rom images block over-the-air updates. You can also manually block those updates by renaming or deleting /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Droid Rooting and updates

Thanks this is helpful. So if I install a wifi tethering app then that would prevent me from updating? would I be able to force an update? Also... are there any ROMs that allow bluetooth voice dialing?

Thanks
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Thanks this is helpful. So if I install a wifi tethering app then that would prevent me from updating?
    A wifi tethering app doesn't have anything to do with updating. It won't prevent you from updating (manually or over-the-air), but if you accept the over-the-air update, your tethering will no longer work.

would I be able to force an update?
    yep

Also... are there any ROMs that allow bluetooth voice dialing?
    Not that I know of, but I believe there are some apps that are working to address this deficiency.
    Cool CM Tricks
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Rooting Question

OK. So this is probably a stupid question but.... Isn't the wifi tethering app a rom? I though that it disabled the OTA update? I assume I haveto root the droid for wifi tethering?

Thanks so much
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    OK. So this is probably a stupid question but.... Isn't the wifi tethering app a rom? I though that it disabled the OTA update? I assume I haveto root the droid for wifi tethering?

Thanks so much
    No. wifi tethering is an app, and it requires root access.
    Custom roms usually block the ota updates.
    Pe 4 . 2
    Droid 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links