DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: What's in 2.1 - Findings, Tips and Tricks

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid A855
    [quote=Liderc;365626]
    Quote Originally Posted by toddegreene View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Try Menu->Settings->Language & Keyboard->Android Keyboard, from here you can toggle Voice Input. I don't have the 'official' 2.1, but I think I have the 2.1 keyboard (too many updates and such and it's one thing I didn't track).
    Wanted to quote this as it does work. If you don't want to use the microphone on the keyboard, do the above and it will put the comma back in place(I really missed the comma, I'm a writing major who <3's commas).

Also, has anyone noticed that the voice thing doesn't actually work very well? I've been told I have a very good voice for radio(no slang/draw/accent) and it still messes up a ton unless I slow down a great deal in speed.
    I actually think it works great. It hasn't messed up a word yet.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

I don't want to have issue infractions,...
    Wow... Sorry Mon Capiton, didn't realize that having a discussion about a function I wanted to see in the 2.1 update would ruin my good-standing in the forum.

My bad.
    It might be a good idea to tip toe lightly on DF for a bit.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
    Also, the weather used to not work on the Multimedia Home page a lot (it would show '--'). Now it is always working and updating to my current location all the time.
    i still dont have that on my droid. i remember when it first came out the weather was there.

do i have to have a particular app for that to work?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by Liderc View Post

Also, has anyone noticed that the voice thing doesn't actually work very well? I've been told I have a very good voice for radio(no slang/draw/accent) and it still messes up a ton unless I slow down a great deal in speed.
    I am going to guess you have a deep voice. I have the same issue. I think that due to some limitation - microphone, probably - the voice-to-text engine works best within a certain frequency range. Do you find it misinterprets consonants primarily?
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    Well hello there fellas...........

I am going to ask everyone to keep it nice and respectful here. I don't have much to say on 2.1 but its ok. I am on it....

If everyone can't play nice. I will close this thread and start over.......have a nice night
    Sometimes , It is what it is !
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis5 View Post

I am going to guess you have a deep voice. I have the same issue. I think that due to some limitation - microphone, probably - the voice-to-text engine works best within a certain frequency range. Do you find it misinterprets consonants primarily?
    You guessed right, I have a deep voice. It just doesn't work at all unless I slow down my speech a lot, I mean it gets the most common words right, but it will come up with crazy words sometimes that I can't even imagine how it got it from what I said.

What is weird is the voice google search works fine, I've used it for quite some time now and it makes a lot fewer mistakes than this new feature seems to make.
    Last edited by Liderc; 04-02-2010 at 10:10 PM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis5 View Post

It works pretty durn well for me (excepting the lack of command-words, but that's another issue), and I have a fairly deep voice.

My biggest problem is also with vowels, but only monothongs (the vowel sounds that don't "glide" or change). It's probably my Central Virginia accent.

Words like "now" are fine, but "comma" and "bottle" can trip me up. Worst is the fact that my natural accent pronounces a lot of dipthongs ("eye" and "mine" and "stew") as if they were monothongs.

(E.g., I tend not to pull my tongue to the roof of my mouth when pronouncing long "I" sounds, flattening the burst. There's no transition in the middle of "mine;" it's just /miiine/.)

But you get used to it quick. Faster than typing. It'd be total sugar if it had a dictionary of command words.
  8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droidzilla
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    ESE81 has a newer kernel than 2.0.1. ...and leaked ESE53.

Not sure if that counts as a feature, but anyways...
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Google earth

Can anyone help me get google earth on my unrooted Droid. I have the 2.1 update.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Did thisp post with voiceth, geethz I think it picked up my lispth... just kidding.

So, it appears we did get a new dock look, but not the n1 dock. I was trying to figure that one out when do posted a link to that clock app, works good on 2.1
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Links