DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That darn power button on top!

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

That darn power button on top!

Gotta glue [rubber cement so it could be removed later if I want] a small piece of plastic on top of the power button so I don't have to fumble around for it!

3. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    _Flomaster
    Phone
    DROOOOOOOOOOOiid
    Premium Member
    are you saying you can't find your power button?

its easy to find for me

I just grab the "chin" of the phone then move to the top right and BAM there it is.

the CHIN is very useful and should be used to your advantage

-=Jason=-
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Never thought about it because I'm used to it.. but I wonder if the power button would be better if it were slightly raised? It could possibly be worse, turning on in your pocket and stuff. Dunno..

-Wil
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    It's placement always seemed odd to me, but I can depress it fine (even w/ case).
  6. ARZ
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
    It's placement always seemed odd to me, but I can depress it fine (even w/ case).
    I dont have a case but I agree with you. It is way better than the Dare I had. On that phone ANY other button on the phone would make the touch screen live and then it was only a matter of time before you were dialing someone from your pocket.

KUDOS to Motorola for figuring out that there should only be ONE button to unlock the screen.

Now if they could expand that functionality to the phone while you are IN a call.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Gotta glue [rubber cement so it could be removed later if I want] a small piece of plastic on top of the power button so I don't have to fumble around for it!
    Screen Mode Widget will, among other things, enable you to turn the phone on with the volume or the camera buttons.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
    ... but I wonder if the power button would be better if it were slightly raised? It could possibly be worse, turning on in your pocket and stuff.
    -Wil
    Yeah, I think the OP will end up with a lot of unintentional turn-ons in his pocket if he raises the button. It's recessed for a reason.

But to each his own.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Screen Mode Widget will, among other things, enable you to turn the phone on with the volume or the camera buttons.
    Can you describe where that option is? I downloaded it, and I only see a widget with three options: Auto Sleep, Awake Stay, and Screen Stay.

When I set it for "Screen-Stay", I am able to turn the screen on using the volume and camera buttons, but the screen is not locked.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Can you describe where that option is? I downloaded it, and I only see a widget with three options: Auto Sleep, Awake Stay, and Screen Stay.

When I set it for "Screen-Stay", I am able to turn the screen on using the volume and camera buttons, but the screen is not locked.
    You can do the same thing with each of the other options, as well. By installing the widget you have enabled the volume and camera buttons to turn on the phone. Some folks like that behavior, some don't, but that's the behavior of all three "states."

I can only conclude that the developer's first language is not English from the odd labels used, but here is the way the widget works:

"Sleep Auto": Timeout works as usual. You get a lock screen when you turn on the phone with any of the buttons.

"Awake Stay": Timeout works as usual, but you bypass the lock screen by turning the phone on with any of the buttons.

"Screen Stay": The phone ignores the "timeout" setting and stays on. Note that if you have Screebl, it trumps "Screen Stay" and turns off if you put the phone down on a flat surface. In that case, Screen Stay and Awake Stay are identical.

In case it's not obvious, of course, only the power button can be used to manually turn off the phone in any of these settings. If the screen is on the volume and camera buttons return to their normal functions.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 03-30-2010 at 01:48 PM.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    You can do the same thing with each of the other options, as well. By installing the widget you have enabled the volume and camera buttons to turn on the phone. Some folks like that behavior, some don't, but that's the behavior of all three "states."
    I guess it doesn't work, then?

Steps to Reproduce:
    1). Put in "Auto-Sleep" mode.
    2). Press Power to turn off screen
    3). Press Camera button or Vol Up/Down

Expected Results:
    Screen turns on

Actual Results:
    Screen only turns on when power button is pressed

I also tested it by allowing the screen to timeout on it's own (replacing step 2 with "Wait for screen to turn off"). Same results. I was able to get it to work a couple times, but not reliably.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links