DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Phone keeps setting itself to silent mode?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Phone keeps setting itself to silent mode?

I keep having this mysterious problem with my Droid where I miss all my calls... then I go into my call settings and find that my ringtone is set to "Silent"... so I reset it to the Muppet Show Theme as any rational person would... and then a few days later I start msising all my calls again and whaddaya know? It's set back to "Silent"... what is making this happen?
    >^,,^<
    www.opalcat.com (barcode below)

Droid 3, free custom icons

NEW! Test my new free Bubble Wrap App! Feedback in this thread.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    yes, mine started doing the same thing. not just with ringtones for incoming calls, but also alarm sounds, so I'd miss an alarm going off and be late to whatever it was I was timing.
    I think it started after 2.1.update1.

The only workaround I've noticed is to make sure I check the volume after I've set an alarm.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Aria / Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
    I keep having this mysterious problem with my Droid where I miss all my calls... then I go into my call settings and find that my ringtone is set to "Silent"... so I reset it to the Muppet Show Theme as any rational person would... and then a few days later I start msising all my calls again and whaddaya know? It's set back to "Silent"... what is making this happen?
    Sometimes in a pocket/purse, folks are not aware that the down volume is being pressed which will (with continued presses) ultimately create that silent ringtone???

/BD
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    i had this problem when i downloaded timeriffic. did you download any programs that have control over volume settings?
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Solved - The problem is definitely with the volume button and it happens to me several times whenever I slide the phone into the holster after ending a phone call.

Here is what I discovered. Whenever I wanted to toggle between Vibrate and Normal mode, I was going into Settings, Sound Profile and making the change there. I didn't know this, but this process can be done via the volume button on the side of your phone. Looking at your phone, start increasing the volume until it is maxed out. Next, start clicking to decrease the volume. Right before the lowest level is reached, the icon will appear indicating the phone is muted or in Silent mode. Click down one more time and you will then automatically go into Vibrate mode. Now going back in the opposite direction, one click up puts you right back into Silent mode while still another click up starts increasing the volume for Normal mode.

I like my phone to always stay in Vibrate mode, so whenever I end a phone call and accidently hit the volume up button just one time upon placing it back in my holster, the phone rolls into Silent mode and I may not know it for hours. I guess you could also cause this as well by increasing or decreasing the volume during a phone conversation and inadvertently stopping in that one place between Vibrate and Normal. You wouldn't even know you did it.

Hope this helps someone out there. I missed a ton of calls and emails because of it.
    Last edited by Ironman 140.6; 12-22-2010 at 03:50 PM.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    evo
    I registered to write that this is 2012 and it is still happening. This is the worst feature EVERRRRRRRR
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I recently found a workaround for this issue. I'm not sure if it has been posted or not, but with the use of the app called "Volume Control+", you can lock the volume controls for your ringer, alarm, media, system, and etc. You can also lock the modes (Ring, Vibrate, Silent) from changing without your knowledge.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I have a similar problem on a Samsung S2

Links