DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Task killers aren't necessary? I highly disagree.

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Task killers aren't necessary? I highly disagree.

Sure, they aren't necessary to close a ton of programs, which will just slow down the phone, but I feel they are very necessary for battery life. Example:

I decided to stop using ATK for one day, today. At 1pm my battery was at 50% which is usually what it's around when I use ATK. 30 minutes later (1:30), it was at 10%. I couldn't figure out what was going on because I didn't use it AT ALL in those 30 minutes. The last thing I did was check my facebook.

Well, I found out that the facebook app was constantly trying to refresh my notifications, even after I closed the app. For some reason it got stuck on refreshing and wouldn't stop. Then I remembered why I use ATK. Because it stops crap like this.

I recommend using a task killer for apps like facebook and the browser. I usually kill both of these after I'm done using them. I don't kill any other apps that always reopen, like alarm clock, calendar, etc. I strictly use the task killer to kill apps like facebook, browser, games, etc. after I'm done using them. In my case today, using the task killer would have saved the battery.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I don't use any task killer apps and I've never had an issue with facebook doing that.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    the ONLY similar problem I've had like this is gps trying to lock on after I closed my browser. This happened maybe two times total. Although isn't a good solution to this to turn off sync, or are the notifications unrelated to that?

At any rate, I haven't used ATK since the first week I received my droid, and I always make it through a day with moderate usage!
    Click here to contact me on Google Talk/Buzz
    Or
    Use the QR in my Avatar!
    Rus
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    1 app required me to have a task killer and that is the stupid browser. I hate that there is no way to cleanly exit the browser. I wish I could somehow just close the browser and have it completely close.
    -Matt
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdroid View Post
    1 app required me to have a task killer and that is the stupid browser. I hate that there is no way to cleanly exit the browser. I wish I could somehow just close the browser and have it completely close.
    Try another browser.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I don't use task killers and hardly ever have issues like these.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    "...I decided to stop using ATK for one day, today. At 1pm my battery was at 50% which is usually what it's around when I use ATK. 30 minutes later (1:30), it was at 10%. I couldn't figure out what was going on because I didn't use it AT ALL in those 30 minutes. The last thing I did was check my facebook..."

My guess is that you probably killed your battery monitor and when it started again it showed an inaccurate estimate of remaining battery power. There is simply no way that any application, even navigation, can use 40% of your battery in 30 minutes.
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droidzilla
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I had Beautiful widgets kills half my battery today in about an hour due to searching for gps signal. In fact, rebooting didn't help. Ended up removing it for now.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Try another browser.
    I actually really like the stock browser except for the not being able to close it
    -Matt
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Try another browser.
    I actually really like the stock browser except for the not being able to close it
    If you're not using your browser the fact that it's in memory doesn't mean it is "running." Think of your memory as a room with a bunch of apps sitting around in chairs. There is a limited number of chairs in the room. If all the chairs are occupied someone has to leave before someone else can come sit down. But until you reach that point, additional apps can come into the room and do their business. Most will then take a seat and remain quiet until the O/S tells them to leave.

Some apps have periodic business to conduct so they'll be ready for you the next time you need them. In the case of the stock browser the little "near me now" line on the Google search page tries to determine periodically where you are. If GPS is enabled, it uses it to do that. You can turn off GPS and it will just sit there quietly unless you fill up memory with lots of other apps.

If you like the stock browser, switch your home page to about:blank or to a web page that doesn't utilize GPS. Or use another browser. The stock browser is the only one that utilizes the "near me now" functionality on the Google search page.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links