DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Droid Mandatory Data Plans

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Droid Mandatory Data Plans

Someone please clarify ... I understand that Droid equals Data plan and thats fine. I currently have LG Voyager and have unlimited data. Im upset that it seems i cannot apply my plan and current rates to the Droid even though i have unlimited data already. The problem i see is that i do not pay $29.99 for it and I assume verizon would like me to start when i switch to the droid...Anyone else successful in doing this switch avoiding the new 30 dollar data plan?
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by k16tuck View Post
    Someone please clarify ... I understand that Droid equals Data plan and thats fine. I currently have LG Voyager and have unlimited data. Im upset that it seems i cannot apply my plan and current rates to the Droid even though i have unlimited data already. The problem i see is that i do not pay $29.99 for it and I assume verizon would like me to start when i switch to the droid...Anyone else successful in doing this switch avoiding the new 30 dollar data plan?
    No one would be successful the 30$ a month is mandatory.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    No one would be successful the 30$ a month is mandatory.

This is 100% its not possible. The system we use will not allow a droid to be active without that PDA/Smartphone plan.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    I think the Voyager uses the $10/month plan, not the $30/month plan for smartphones.

There's really no way to get out of the $30/month plan, if there was, we'd all have done it a long time ago.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Think of the LG Voyager as a Prius and the Droid as an Escalade. You're going to use a lot more gas with the Escalade. Same thing with a Droid, so you'll be using more data hence the data plan.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone (Telus)
    lol that's just how Verizon operates. In most parts of the world, data is data. For example I have the Milestone, an unknown phone to AT&T. Thank goodness for GSM and slipping in SIM cards because with my Milestone I still pay $15/month.

Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Think of the LG Voyager as a Prius and the Droid as an Escalade. You're going to use a lot more gas with the Escalade. Same thing with a Droid, so you'll be using more data hence the data plan.
    That's just Verizon's justification. And it's enforceable only because we have to buy phones from the carrier. Unlocked phones are not an option.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    ^^^^^^I think that Bill summed it up pretty good^^^^^^

Your Voyager is not a smartphone, thus not requiring a Smartphone data plan. This is nothing new. Verizon has even done away with the "connect" and "premium" plans they used to offer as well. So if you do not need a smart phone and are still on that type of plan you can stay with a 3G muitimedia device such as a Envy Touch or Samsung Rouge and keep your current data plan. As you will be grandfathered in... However all new customers wanting 3G mutimedia devices are now required to pay the same $29.99 for unlimited data on those phones. Just like a smartphone. VZW has had the 29.99 unlimited data for smartphones for quite some time now... probably even had them when you got your Voyager.
    "Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Everyone here has pretty much summed it up well about the required $30 data plan for pda/smartphones. Just wait until Verizon starts their tiered data plans, haha.
    Ryan
    Verizon
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Motorola Droid (owned two of them )
    Motorola Q
    Motorola Razr
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    With all the answers here correct. This htread is