DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do You Need a Data Plan?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #

Do You Need a Data Plan?

Hey do you guys know if you can get this phone without a data plan? I like the family plan im on right now which has no data. All I want is a phone that is like an ipod touch with ability to get apps (android apps are fine), has built in GPS that is free (just like you would get if you buy a gps unit at the store) can get on a WiFi network to surf the internet, and be able to play games, store music and video/movies for playing with a good and intuitive interface. Id like it in a phone because i dont like carrying multiple devices to do all these things. I want a more powerful phone that does it all but just dont want to pay more then im paying now for a data plan. WiFi works for me.

I know with verizon a lot of times they require a data plan. I wanted a blackberry but did get one cause they would have forced me to get a plan for the phone.

Will I be able to get this phone with my current plan?
  2. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Premium Member
    You will always be able to get a phone without a data plan. You should be able to turn off data on your phone all together, I've done that many times when going out of country and when I don't want to rack up a huge data bill.
  3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Twitter
    droidforums
    Premium Member
    I know the iPhone requires you to have the data plan and I thought even blackberry phones required it??
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #

Smile

Yes I went to the verizon store about 6 months ago for my new phone after my contract was up. I wanted to get a blackberry because of the features of the phone. But I did not want a data plan. But they wouldnt sell me a blackberry without one. And ya the Iphone is the same way where its required. So I ended up getting stuck with a phone that doesnt do anything but txt and call people.

Im sorry im kind of a newb as far as phones go but im just wondering if i will be able to get the phone from like amazon or newegg and have it be "unlocked" or whatever and just tie it to my current phone plan? Thanks for the help so far though!
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Yes all verizon phones as of i think november last year, if they can access the internet, basically all smart phones and dumb-phones, require data plans. I think the data plan pricing is a little different between the two but none the less it still requires a data plan.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Now is that only if you get the phone through verizon? Is it possible to say, get the phone from amazon or newegg or whatnot and just change your number over to that phone? I know you can change phones by calling a number and giving it the ESN number on the inside of your phone behind the battery. Then using the new phone to activate your number again. Know what i mean? Will this work if you can get the phone from somewhere besides verizon?
  7. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Premium Member
    They may require a data plan if you want the subsidized price, as they give you a bigger discount on the phone assuming you will be generate more revenue from a larger monthly bill.

However, the phone will work without data, so assuming you buy the phone outright you can use it without data.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Sweet! Thanks! thats what i needed to find out. Now i just need to know if the droid can be purchased from somewhere like newegg or amazon when it comes out. if so and if the price isnt too high (say no more then around $500 or so) then i will be seriously looking into getting this.

Thanks again for your answers!
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    it will likely be over $500. but really, getting a phone this powerful without a data plan is like buying a porsche without a motor... you could do some things with it like sit in it and make engine noises or adjust the mirrors, but it would really be kinda pointless. if you just want a mean texting device, look into an lg or an env2.. that would be more suited for what you want, and not at the (maybe) $500 price point. check out the new chocolate that is coming out... it looks pretty cool.
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  10. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    it will likely be over $500. but really, getting a phone this powerful without a data plan is like buying a porsche without a motor... you could do some things with it like sit in it and make engine noises or adjust the mirrors, but it would really be kinda pointless. if you just want a mean texting device, look into an lg or an env2.. that would be more suited for what you want, and not at the (maybe) $500 price point. check out the new chocolate that is coming out... it looks pretty cool.
    With WiFi he'll get the same benefits without the charge. Just depends on how much wifi coverage he has.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Links