DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do You Need a Data Plan?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Hey guys, I managed to get a Droid Incredible activated on the Verizon network without having to pay any data fees. I wrote the full story on my blog (How I got a Droid Incredible on the Verizon Network without having to pay a data fee | JusTech'n) but in short I used one of Verizons parters who does not charge for data. The plan I chose only has 50MB of data, so I keep data turned off, but with WiFi I get 98% of what I need. Yes, I cannot use google maps naviagation, but there are plenty of inexpensive offline GPS apps out there that work great (hopefully google will hear the cries of its users and supply an offline version Are there any plans to make Android Google Maps/Navigation available offline, when internet connection is not available? - Google Mobile Help).

The bottom line is that I am saving a ton of money because I don't have to pay the data fee, or the high price for the Verizon plans. In addition because I am technically using a prepaid plan I also don't have to pay any taxes or fees.

Hopefully those that are also interested in this will have the same luck that I did.

If you are interested in having data for less, then you may want to check into Boost Mobile. They have a $50 unlimited plan (talk, text, and web) and they claim to be able to support CDMA phones.
    Last edited by ryanmc; 06-18-2010 at 11:13 AM.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    These plans are such a ripoff. I hope they get theirs in the end.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    So you don't need a plan for any Verizon phone that says you need it? Thats what my mom also said about the data plans. But the small stores at lets say the mall or walmart always says you need the data plans. I'm hoping to get a Droid X in January. Thanks for the info.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2

My Droid 2 is not on Verizon Yet, but I make calls.

I just got my brand new Droid 2 from ebay. I specifically did not want to buy from Verizon and pay for 2 more years of $ervice. My contract with Verizon is up in April and I plan to go with another wireless service at that time.

This is mainly because Verizon started to bill my Alias 2 for a data plan. I fought and fought with them for months before they took it off, but I never got a refund for the months they charged me. (Alias 2 is a dumbphone)

In the mean time, I have used my new Droid 2 for GPS - I traveled from Texas to Arizona for Thanksgiving and used the GPS function Navigation with Google Earth without problem. I connect to wireless networks to browse the internet, make/receive phone calls, grab my emails and sms. I love using Google sky and have spent hours star gazing. I downloaded music and videos to my Droid and they Rock.

I make/receive calls through Google voice. I set up sipdroid and make all my calls for free. I had this set up on my laptop and was doing the happy dance when I was able to set it up on my Droid!

Since this is a Google phone, my calls and texts work seamlessly. Everyone I call/text see my normal Google Voice number, and I see their ID when they contact me.

All this works without a Wireless Carrier.

And I did all this in within the first week of owning the phone - and I have never used a smart phone before.

You know I will root, right?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Links