DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Droid Aviators

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

Droid Aviators

Droid Aviators-space-shuttle.jpg

To those in the aviation industry, whether you are a pilot, aircraft mechanic, engineer, working for the airlines, military, a civilian company: What do you use your droid for, what apps work good for your job, what phone was you using before the droid and how has or hasn't it help you with your job. What feature or app would you lije to see to help you with your job.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    I'm a HEMS pilot and use: ForeFlight Weather, QuickWeather, and SunMoon (for NVG ops). I also use the browser to access the ADDS HEMS NOAA website to get a look at the ceiling/Flight Category info since I can't run the java-based tool directly on the phone.

I was using an iTouch before but really missed not having broadband. The weather can really change when you're stuck in the hospital for an hour or so and this phone is great for keeping me updated.

I would really like to see a good weight and balance application since I currently use spreadsheets to do that (DocumentsToGo). I would also like a Lat/Long converter since I never know what the ground units are going to use and the ships GPS is in degrees, decimal minutes.

I'm working on writing a GPS conversion program like the iPod program I used but it's slow since I'm new to this.

Fly Safe
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A955
    I used to work fixed wing EMS. The apps were nice to kill time, but the biggest plus for me was the browsing experience. Being able to access full sites with a physical keyboard made all the difference.
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Its nice that united is putting wifi on their aircraft, hope more airlines follow that trend.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I would love to see an app that was similar to runwayfinder.com or skyvector.com, with offline maps (stored on the SD card) that was usable in airplane mode (used the REAL GPS instead of the aGPS). In other words, an app that would allow you to use the phone as an aviation moving map GPS.
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Nashville huh, Im from clarksville tn
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotcharles747 View Post
    Nashville huh, Im from clarksville tn
    Small world!
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (A855)
    I'm in Savannah, GA...I work at a large Service Center for corporate/business jets and have to track my inbound aircraft. I use Flightaware which does have a mobile site and it's not bad, but I would really like an app. I also use Unit Converter quite a bit too, the Rolls Royce Manuals like the metric units...I don't.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by rotordroid View Post
    I'm a HEMS pilot and use: ForeFlight Weather, QuickWeather, and SunMoon (for NVG ops). I also use the browser to access the ADDS HEMS NOAA website to get a look at the ceiling/Flight Category info since I can't run the java-based tool directly on the phone.

I was using an iTouch before but really missed not having broadband. The weather can really change when you're stuck in the hospital for an hour or so and this phone is great for keeping me updated.

I would really like to see a good weight and balance application since I currently use spreadsheets to do that (DocumentsToGo). I would also like a Lat/Long converter since I never know what the ground units are going to use and the ships GPS is in degrees, decimal minutes.

I'm working on writing a GPS conversion program like the iPod program I used but it's slow since I'm new to this.

Fly Safe
    Here you go:
    Weight and Balance Calculator - Appventive
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I'm flight instructing and I use My Tracks to examine student's ground tracks for ground ref and IFR flights. Also tons of weather tracking apps.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links