DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No. I'm Not Jealous...but

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

No. I'm Not Jealous...but

Shouldn't there be seperate section for "rooters" and "Non Rooters"?
    It seems like evey other thread is for "root users only" or something to
    that effect.

Can't non rooters, and people who have no intention to root have a
    seperate section.

When ever I run across a thread title that looks interesting, upon further investigation - it's usually an, "you have to be rooted thread",

COME ON MAIN!

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by butch350 View Post
    Shouldn't there be seperate section for "rooters" and "Non Rooters"?
    It seems like evey other thread is for "root users only" or something to
    that effect.

Can't non rooters, and people who have no intention to root have a
    seperate section.

When ever I run across a thread title that looks interesting, upon further investigation - it's usually an, "you have to be rooted thread",

COME ON MAIN!

I hear you, and even though I'm rooted this week there are times when I take the root out and go back to stock. Seems like there is a lot going on with hacking and other stuff like that.

If properly posted anything that has to do with rooting should go into the hacking threads IMHO and really not be in places like the General Discussion Thread. You can't keep everything out of there, like people discussing wanting to hack or describing their experiences after hacking.

One of the big problems I think we have and just about all other forums have is thread titles. It would be simple enough if someone just put in parenthesis "root only," but getting people to do that would be hard.

Then again you can only open up so many threads. Tough call. Maybe one of the admins will see your post and give you a response. Not a bad idea.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Some of the content would be duplicated. I have seen some talk of prefacing thread titles or the original topic with for roots, or for non-roots...which really is for both. A recent couple of threads I've been posting in involved woodyman coming across the files for another android phone.

Goodies from other phones, For the Droid and us.!

Now, this thread is in the "Droid Hacking" section because it involved taking a system dump from another phone, going through it, and testing various apk installations on the Droid. The end result is a bunch of apps that work on the Droid, rooted or stock. Now, you do have to check off a box in your settings to accept unknown apps that didn't come through the app store but you don't have to root your phone. Definitely a hack to get stuff on your phone that wasn't released for it, but nothing that voids your warranty or roots the phone.

Maybe some sticky threads that point to hacks and items that work for non-rooted phones would save folks some time that don't feel like wading through all the hacking/rooted stuff to find things of interest? Maybe butch or some other non-rooter could start something like that and a mod could sticky it.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Yeah I saw a sub-forum over at Android Forums, and it was called something like "Anything nd Everything having to do with root (ROMs, overclocking, etc." and EVERYTHING was in that one forum..

7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMOD 5.0.5.7
    I guess the only solution is for you to root it is so simple and so rewarding. You can be just like me and comb the forums for the latest ROM, constantly reinstall apps and settings. It is fun
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by jbernard703 View Post
    I guess the only solution is for you to root it is so simple and so rewarding. You can be just like me and comb the forums for the latest ROM, constantly reinstall apps and settings. It is fun
    You have to remember that not every member here has an interest in rooting, and some are perfectly happy with their phones the way they are. And then again there are those whose Droids are company owned phones and can't root as they don't actually own the device.

9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jbernard703 View Post
    You have to remember that not every member here has an interest in rooting, and some are perfectly happy with their phones the way they are. And then again there are those whose Droids are company owned phones and can't root as they don't actually own the device.

oops. Although if work and I were to part ways I'm responsible for payments until the 2 yr contract with Verizon is up and I keep the phone.

But I agree with you Anne. No need to convert folks over. If they see what they like and understand the risks/benefits everyone can make their own minds up. Some people just want the phone to dial, texting to work, and the web to come up when they want it to. Nothing wrong with that.

Funny story...I've seen your posts for a while now. I'm reading the joke thread that got started to someone and say your user name out loud and have an ah-ha moment. I smacked myself for not catching on to the cool handle you chose for yourself until I actually heard it!
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneDroid View Post
    First argument (not wanting to) is valid and respectable. The second (company owned) is a bit of BS. If/when you are told to turn a phone in you would (or should) wipe all the data off of it anyway so you can restore it to stock in minutes with RSDLite. If for some reason they take it from you before you can do this (i.e. you get fired or something) than just choose 'factory reset' to wipe your data and let them deal with it (besides, if they fire you like that, i.e. no notice you should make some extra work for them lol).
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links