DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing a blog write up about extending battery life

1. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz

Doing a blog write up about extending battery life

What are your secrets to success that you would like to see in the blog?
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    Well, the ones that come to mind when I think of saving battery life are:

- Keeping brightness at it's lowest at night, 25% during the day.
    - Disabling GPS and/or GPS-based services when inactive.
    - A myth, perhaps truth or rumor, is that keeping your widgets count low keeps the battery life high. It also looks aesthetically pleasing rather than a clutter.
    - If rooted (this one helps a lot), setting profiles to underclock your phone while sleeping.

I practice all of those, and I can get a decent 10 hours use; of course, without gameplay.

One that I've always wondered about is using the virtual keyboard more instead of the physical keyboard. I'm sure using the backlight causes some battery drainage.
  3. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    I can't seem to get out of auto brightness because I love the nice screen. Disabling the GPS service itself doesn't do anything though, unless something is using it. I keep it on and it never shows up at all on my battery usage chart....bluetooth on the other hand, does.
  4. LT*
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr HD
    My number one method of preserving my battery is by hitting the power button every time I'm done doing what ever I'm doing, I have the time out set for 1 minute, but I never let it sit that long once I'm done. If I pick up the droid say 20 times in a day, and DON'T do this, then that's 20 minutes of unnecessary screen-on time.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Be aware of what your apps are doing. Monitor the notification bar to see if something is using the GPS receiver (and therefore chewing through the battery) when you don't think it should be.
  6. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Let me know what you think:

How to improve battery life...
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Be aware of what your apps are doing. Monitor the notification bar to see if something is using the GPS receiver (and therefore chewing through the battery) when you don't think it should be.
    I agree with ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by geronosaurus View Post
    Well, the ones that come to mind when I think of saving battery life are:

- Keeping brightness at it's lowest at night, 25% during the day.
    - Disabling GPS and/or GPS-based services when inactive.
    - A myth, perhaps truth or rumor, is that keeping your widgets count low keeps the battery life high. It also looks aesthetically pleasing rather than a clutter.
    - If rooted (this one helps a lot), setting profiles to underclock your phone while sleeping.

I practice all of those, and I can get a decent 10 hours use; of course, without gameplay.

One that I've always wondered about is using the virtual keyboard more instead of the physical keyboard. I'm sure using the backlight causes some battery drainage.
    I agree with the first and the last points, though I only practice the last one. I keep my screen brightness on medium whenever it's on.

Just yesterday I decided to do a "complete battery drain" test. I got a little over 35 hours out of it, and that was with relatively high usage (compared to how I normally use it).

I have tons of widgets including 4 photo frames, news/weather, search, power, Pandora & calendar. My wi-fi is ALWAYS on as is my GPS. I use bluetooth for about an hour a day to stream Pandora into my car stereo. I'm over-clocked to 800Mhz, and I do some gaming here and there. I have no idea why my battery lasts so long, but I'm not going to complain.

edit: I forgot to mention that I have all of my sync times set to the minimum, so sync occurs like every 3 minutes or something, for gmail, facebook, twitter, etc.
    -Adam
    Droidist since 12/1/09
    HTC One
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    One word: Screebl.

Combine with setting screen timeout to 15 seconds.
  9. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Nobody has every been able to tell me...what is the point of screebl if you lock the screen immediately after using the phone?
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone (Telus)
    Killing 3G was a huge deal for me. I push email all day long when I'm at work and I know that gobbles power. I guess it also matters because I'm on a MIlestone (GSM variant) and AT&T has weak 3G reception at some places, so the phone fights for 3G when signal is weak. That causes a hug drain on battery. I just switch on 3G when I browse/download/pandora.

Disable auto updating crap like Facebook and Twitter. I get enough notifications from those a day that it's not really worth it. Gmail unfortunately can't stop pushing overnight, but sometimes I wish it would just chill out because I'm not expecting mail all day long...

@MNTNBKR how is your GPS always on? You mean you let it turn on when it needs it, but the Droid won't turn on your GPS for no reason. If your GPS was truly on (the dish signal blinking at the top) all day long, you'd be out of battery before you get out of work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links