DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Gmail problem

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate

Gmail problem

My gmail on my Droid says under my messages in my inbox No Connection and has a retry button. Button does nothing and tried hitting refresh in the menu. Also tried powering the phone off and battery pull with no results. As a last ditch attempt I swallowed the bullet and called VZW tech support. They told me to remove the gmail account and re install it. But the phone gave me a warning that the only way to do that was to reset the phone to factory defaults, and I dont want to do that, so they told me that was the only way to fix it and they couldnt help me. So I bring it to you guys. Thought that maybe goggle might be having server issues but can log onto my gmail through my browser. And couldnt find any one else here reporting the same problem.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid

Reset

Just reset the phone back to factory defaults, all of your contacts and apps are stored in the cloud (Google) VIA your GMail account. You have to re-activate the phone, but that is no big deal. Your micro-sd card will still contain all of it's data., no worries. Peace
    MotoDroid
    Cheap Silicone Case
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    Just reset the phone back to factory defaults, all of your contacts and apps are stored in the cloud (Google) VIA your GMail account. You have to re-activate the phone, but that is no big deal. Your micro-sd card will still contain all of it's data., no worries. Peace
    Quite a drastic step for a rather simple fix.

OP:

Settings> Applications >Manage Applications

Hit the menu button, change the filter to All. Scroll down to Gmail, then tap Clear Data. Hit the back button, go to Gmail Storage and tap Clear Data.

Go back to your Gmail app and tap the retry button.

Also, I'm just checking but if that doesn't work by chance did you change your gmail PW? You should get a notifaction about that in the notification bar. It should allow you to re-enter your password when you tap on that notification.
    Last edited by bass_lover1; 02-28-2010 at 08:14 PM.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_lover1 View Post

OP:

Hit the menu button, change the filter to All. Scroll down to Gmail, then tap Clear Data. Hit the back button, go to Gmail Storage and tap Clear Data.

Also, I'm just checking but if that doesn't work by chance did you change your gmail PW? You should get a notifaction about that in the notification bar. It should allow you to re-enter your password when you tap on that notification.
    That worked perfectly. Thanks alot.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by kamileon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_lover1 View Post

OP:

That worked perfectly. Thanks alot.
    A big round of applause for that bit of advice.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Wifi might be causing the problem in the first place. As I've found in a couple of places on the web, the handover from wifi to 3G may cause a problem authenticating with google's servers--perhaps other servers too as I had pop email stop polling too. I've stopped using wifi and so far no problems. If you want to use wifi, this might work: toggle it on when in range of the signal and just remember to toggle it off when you are done.

The syncing problem happens randomly and not everyone experiences it. Right now, my best guess is that wifi is the problem. Perhaps those people not having the problem have different wireless router setups. I for one, wander in and out of 2 wifi networks, one encrypted and the other not. I have no non-stock apps running in the background and have never used a task killer. I'm just saying this because people have told me that the syncing problem is "user error". For any responders with that opinion: what error am I making?

Links