DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muting GPS while on call?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Goodbye Storm Hello Droid!

Muting GPS while on call?

I use the speakerphone option my car quite a bit.

I also use the GPS option quite a bit.

The GPS has this annoying habit of interrupting my conversations and I find myself having to exit navigation, then make a phone call, then resuming navigation which is obviously very dangerous while driving.

Any way to definitively mute GPS while on a call?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by asmallchild View Post

The GPS has this annoying habit of interrupting my conversations and I find myself having to exit navigation, then make a phone call, then resuming navigation which is obviously very dangerous while driving.

While in Google Navigator, click the menu button then choose MUTE.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTiger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asmallchild View Post

While in Google Navigator, click the menu button then choose MUTE.
    I posted this question a while back and got the same answers as above, which is not the answer I was looking for. My stand alone GPS with blue tooth speaker phone was smart enough to automute when on a call. Pandora or iheartradio auto mutes for a call on my Droid. Why doesn't GPS? Is there an app for that?
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

I agree

I agree... this isn't a huge issue, but it is REALLY annoying when your call is interrupted (especially when it's a long winded exit name.) This needs to be addressed and be auto muted when a call is made or received...
    IMO
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by FunN4Lo View Post
    My stand alone GPS with blue tooth speaker phone was smart enough to automute when on a call. Pandora or iheartradio auto mutes for a call on my Droid. Why doesn't GPS? Is there an app for that?
    I agree that having the phone auto mute navigation during a call is a no-brainer. Google devs supposedly use the Google Product Ideas website to decide future enhancements according to Thom in this thread:

New! Google Maps Navigation (Beta) for Android OS 2.0 - Google Mobile Help

I suggest everyone go over to the Google Product Ideas website and vote for the mute idea which only has 36 votes the last time I looked. We need thousands from this site to inundate and vote for this and any other no-brainers for Google Navigation:

Google Product Ideas
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTiger View Post
    My stand alone GPS with blue tooth speaker phone was smart enough to automute when on a call. Pandora or iheartradio auto mutes for a call on my Droid. Why doesn't GPS? Is there an app for that?
    I agree that having the phone auto mute navigation during a call is a no-brainer. Google devs supposedly use the Google Product Ideas website to decide future enhancements according to Thom in this thread:

New! Google Maps Navigation (Beta) for Android OS 2.0 - Google Mobile Help

I suggest everyone go over to the Google Product Ideas website and vote for the mute idea which only has 36 votes the last time I looked. We need thousands from this site to inundate and vote for this and any other no-brainers for Google Navigation:

Google Product Ideas
    I voted, thanks for the heads up. Please everyone vote for this. If you haven't had an issue with this yet, you will
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    If I need to use nav to get somewhere and I talking on the phone while driving (!), I want the nav to interrupt the call to get me where I want to go. To me, it seems dumb for it to work the other way around.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by zakany View Post
    If I need to use nav to get somewhere and I talking on the phone while driving (!), I want the nav to interrupt the call to get me where I want to go. To me, it seems dumb for it to work the other way around.
    If you're jackin wit your homies it may seem dumb.

But some of us run real businesses on our phones. I can read the Nav screen and talk on the speaker phone at the same time. I do it everyday. But I can not carry on a conversation with a client, over the Nav voice.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

But some of us run real businesses on our phones. I can read the Nav screen and talk on the speaker phone at the same time. I do it everyday. But I can not carry on a conversation with a client, over the Nav voice.
    Sorry. No sale. I, too, have to conduct business from time to time when I'm driving (though I don't like to do it). On the other hand, I only use the Nav system when I really don't know where I'm going. And if I have to put up with a momentary interruption for a driving instruction my business associates understand.

Your solution of watching the nav screen and carrying on a conversation makes perfect sense except for that other activity you're engaged in....You know...DRIVING! I do know you, though. I see you on the road practically everyday weaving in front of me.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post

Sorry. No sale. I, too, have to conduct business from time to time when I'm driving (though I don't like to do it). On the other hand, I only use the Nav system when I really don't know where I'm going. And if I have to put up with a momentary interruption for a driving instruction my business associates understand.

Your solution of watching the nav screen and carrying on a conversation makes perfect sense except for that other activity you're engaged in....You know...DRIVING! I do know you, though. I see you on the road practically everyday weaving in front of me.
    Yeah really, what's with these people? There's nothing at all annoying about being interrupted in the midIN 300FT, TURN LEFT ONTO 200TH STREETand of course that's when I decided to quit the circus. Anyway, what was I saying...ah yes...Not only should google not give anyone an option to turn it off, they should go one step further and automatically disconnect any call that dare interrupt its all-important turn-by-turn direcTURN LEFT ONTO 200TH STREET argh forget it I give up.

Seriously though, it's so annoying and counter-productive to have anything interrupting phone calls. Imagine the lawsuits when google navigation interrupts someones emergency 911 call! Hopefully someone at google does the common sense thing and either eliminates the interrupting navigation or makes it optional. The few people who demand to be interrupted could check off the box and the rest of us normal working folk could continue merrily about our way, un-interrupted.

I'll leave you with a brilliant joke...
    *Knock Knock
    - Who's There?
    *Interrupting Google Navigation
    - Interrupting Google Navi*TURN LEFT ONTO 36TH STREET
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links