DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muting GPS while on call?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    I'm on both sides on this. I hate it to interrupt me on a call, but I DO need it to do that. You can't, you just can't drive, watch the screen, talk on the phone all at the same time. So, I have to vote to keep the voice prompts. But maybe they could quiet it down a bit and don't have as many prompts getting ready for a turn when you are on a call.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    its not like its muting your call just so it can speak..it speaks over the call and most of the time the caller cant even hear the Nav talking.
    If you are talking on the phone, driving, and looking at the nav screen at the same time you have bigger issues to worry about.

Google did the right thing here.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Not really a fix or anything, but maybe you can use Tasker to do that? I don't know if it's possible (don't have it installed currently), but perhaps you could have it disable GPS when a phone call begins, and then have it reenable GPS when the call ends. I wouldn't know how to make it only do that when GPS was already enabled though. Perhaps if it also detects that Google Navigation is running?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyStorm View Post
    Not really a fix or anything, but maybe you can use Tasker to do that? I don't know if it's possible (don't have it installed currently), but perhaps you could have it disable GPS when a phone call begins, and then have it reenable GPS when the call ends. I wouldn't know how to make it only do that when GPS was already enabled though. Perhaps if it also detects that Google Navigation is running?
    having tasker kill GPS while on a call will defeat the purpose of using the gps in the first place. I would assuming most people are using the gps because the dont know the way. If its off during a call you can drive pass your exit, no? Unless you have 300 miles to go it wouldnt work.
  5. Ej4
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Taking a quick look at your gps while driving isn't going to kill anyone, well for most people anyways.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    My kids will never know driving and navigating without using a GPS. I am guessing that is where the comments come... OMG...I have to have someone tell we where to go at every moment of my drive or I can not possible EVER find my destination!

I started using a GPS before anyone I personally know. But before that we had to use these things called "paper maps". These "paper maps" were made of "paper" and THEY DID NOT TALK. Somehow (maybe it is my superior intelligence) I was able to navigate across town or across country WITHOUT someone telling me EVERY move to make.

I like talking maps. I picked a Droid over every other smart phone because of Google and Google Nav. But the genre is "smart phone" and calls should take precedence over every other app.
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Back when you only had written directions (if you even did) and paper maps, I had adventures. I can still have them if I turn off the GPS. But I'd rather only have them when I want to.

Back in the good old days people were driving and looking at maps at the same time. Many accidents. I chose to never do that after my Uncle almost died in an accident with someone doing that. I would have to stop and look at a map along a route.

I'm glad I have GPS now.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ntrddragn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyStorm View Post
    having tasker kill GPS while on a call will defeat the purpose of using the gps in the first place. I would assuming most people are using the gps because the dont know the way. If its off during a call you can drive pass your exit, no? Unless you have 300 miles to go it wouldnt work.
    Use Tasker to mute media volume?
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

If it was the other way...

People would be complaining about missing turns if the navigation prompts didn't trump the voice.

When complaints happen for both sides, the user interface should be modified to have an option for both.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Frankly if you are driving then maybe you shouldn't even be on the phone. Personally if the GPS nav is running the phone should be turned off. THAT is the setting I think we need to have.

But obviously a priority system needs to be setup so that people can set the phone to behave as they wish.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links