DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon 3G Coverage with Droid...Question

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Verizon 3G Coverage with Droid...Question

Hey everyone.

I am from northern New Jersey, a hotbed of communications where it seems there isn't one square inch without perfect reception from most carriers. Next fall, I am going to be going off to Morgantown, West Virginia to attend West Virginia University. Recently, I toured there, and I took a route the went into Pennsylvania, down through Maryland, then west into West Virginia. I went with my mother, who drove, and we needed the assistance of my Google Maps app quite frequently both on the way there and once in Morgantown. About half way through Pennsylvania, everything short of texts and calls stopped working. All my internet related apps just wouldn't load anything. When on the unlock screen, instead of where it would say "Verizon Wireless," it said "Extended Network." What does this mean?

It's not that I couldn't have done without my phone for the weekend I was there, but we needed Google Maps, so when messing around with the phone, I turned on roaming data, and was able to do everything again. Twitter, Google Maps, Gmail, they all came back. Once I'm living there full time, am I going to have to have it on this setting 24/7? Can I make a call to Verizon and tell them that I'll be living there so it shouldn't be roaming?

I'm sure I don't understand this even a little bit, so if someone could enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs Forever View Post
    It's not that I couldn't have done without my phone for the weekend I was there, but we needed Google Maps, so when messing around with the phone, I turned on roaming data, and was able to do everything again. Twitter, Google Maps, Gmail, they all came back. Once I'm living there full time, am I going to have to have it on this setting 24/7? Can I make a call to Verizon and tell them that I'll be living there so it shouldn't be roaming?
    Ouch. Watch your bill. That could come back to bite you in the butt.

It's not about where you're living -- it's where Verizon has coverage. If they don't have coverage there, they have to piggy-back off of another carrier's network. That's when you start racking up roaming charges. Roaming charges for voice is bad enough... roaming charges for data will likely require taking out a second mortgage.

Were you out in the sticks or something when it switched to roaming?
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Though I'm not surprised that roaming might be required in the wilds of southern Pennsylvania where the 20th century is expected to arrive anytime now, I'm very surprised that VZW would not have good 3g coverage in and around Morgantown considering it's a major university town.

On the other hand, one can be surprised where good coverage doesn't show up, sometimes as a result of local politics that impact placement of cell phone towers. And in mountainous regions like West Virginia, the problem is exacerbated.

As the previous poster suggested, get in touch with Verizon and get some assurance you won't be "roaming" while you're in Morgantown. I'd even suggest getting some documentation of that assurance. Otherwise, you're likely to be paying more for phone coverage than for tuition.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Make sure you've updated your PRL's. Preferred Roaming List. If you don't do this from time to time you may lose coverage even when coverage is available. Dial *228 option 2.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I found that this page How To... Roaming Indicator has a nice chart and explanation of roaming as well as instructions for updating the PRL (the*228 option-2 referred to above).
    Gerry

Moto
    rolaDroidStockBld:44/09

6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Oh god, I'm a little afraid of my bill now.

I was kind of in the middle of nowhere when switching to roaming initially, but I had to keep it on in Morgantown which intrigued me, a town that certainly isn't in the sticks at all. Very big college town, too.

Well, what would be my long term solution for this when I go there? Should I have to suffer through a downgrade to a normal phone that doesn't need 3G like an Envy Touch or something, or should I consider (gasp) switching networks to something that covers there?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I would assume college campus would have WiFi. I would probably use WiFi rather than using 3G.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    That's true, I didn't even think of that. It just wouldn't help us on the road there, but I guess that's expected. If I go off campus though, then I'm probably lost again...?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid
    I've been through WV three maybe four times in recent years and have only had decent phone service in Charleston.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I live 1 mile from a Verizon tower but i am unable to get a signal because of a mountain, i pick up a 3g data from a Verizon tower 25 miles from me (line of sight) but almost no voice signal. Ended up putting in a range extender in my house so we could use the phone for calls and wi-fi for data. The sad thing is i can get at&t at my house.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links