DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are my chances of getting a free network extender from Verizon?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    I should also add, just in case you didn't hear, that verizon is apparently going to be enabling calling via Wi-Fi next month. It is yet to be determined how / if this will help people like us who have spotty (at best) coverage in their homes.

It's possible right now to make Wi-Fi calls using the Droid, but it isn't supported, and takes some serious setup. And it isn't as seamless as I'd like either.
    -Adam
    Droidist since 12/1/09
    HTC One
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Man, I love this Droid, but if AT&T had better coverage in my area I would be all over an iPhone. The network is so much more important to me than the phone.
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNTNBKR View Post
    I should also add, just in case you didn't hear, that verizon is apparently going to be enabling calling via Wi-Fi next month. It is yet to be determined how / if this will help people like us who have spotty (at best) coverage in their homes.

It's possible right now to make Wi-Fi calls using the Droid, but it isn't supported, and takes some serious setup. And it isn't as seamless as I'd like either.

Link to Article?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post

Link to Article?
    Sorry, I mis-spoke (er...mis-typed). I meant Skype calling...which, from what I've read, may work over Wi-Fi, but that's not guaranteed.
    -Adam
    Droidist since 12/1/09
    HTC One
  5. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    I can tell you that they will laugh in your face if you demand a free Network Extender. As Black said the 30 day trial is set up for situations where if it doesn't work out for you, then you return it. If you're outside of that 30 days, you can do what I did, BUY ONE. Don't get me started on this everything should be handed to us topic.
    While I am in agreement that Verizon has every right to follow business practices that ensure profitability, they are misrepresenting their product in my area. Why should I shell out 250 bucks to supplement their lapse in coverage? I think its garbage that I am basically forced to buy this equipment if I hope to use my phone to make calls (imagine that...) At least let me use my own WiFi router & UMA if I can't use the network I pay for every month, the fact that they lock that down and sell the extender is greedy in my book. Overall Verizon's network is great, but at least T-mobile was fairly honest about their lapses in coverage and gave you a good alternative.
  6. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

now THIS is good news! I hope it pans out.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by assmunke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lschicky View Post
    what is the coverage like standing outside of your house? Sometimes it's a matter of the building materials in your house.
    Marginally better, certain areas in the front yard will go back and forth between 1- 2 bars of voice coverage.I'm definitely between towers or something as the coverage is hit or miss within a few block radius of the house. Signal strength is always between 98-101 dBm
    you should call them, at the very least and let them know that it's a problem in your area. Chances are they will look into it, while I don't think you will get a network extender for free, they can check on their towers.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by assmunke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    I can tell you that they will laugh in your face if you demand a free Network Extender. As Black said the 30 day trial is set up for situations where if it doesn't work out for you, then you return it. If you're outside of that 30 days, you can do what I did, BUY ONE. Don't get me started on this everything should be handed to us topic.
    While I am in agreement that Verizon has every right to follow business practices that ensure profitability, they are misrepresenting their product in my area. Why should I shell out 250 bucks to supplement their lapse in coverage? I think its garbage that I am basically forced to buy this equipment if I hope to use my phone to make calls (imagine that...) At least let me use my own WiFi router & UMA if I can't use the network I pay for every month, the fact that they lock that down and sell the extender is greedy in my book. Overall Verizon's network is great, but at least T-mobile was fairly honest about their lapses in coverage and gave you a good alternative.
    Did VZW give you 30 days to test drive the service - YES
    Did VZW put a gun to your head to make you start with their service - NO
    End of story
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

9. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    I have the same problem at home and explained it to the store's manager. She sold one to me for 50% off (which was their cost).
    Last edited by aaf709; 09-10-2010 at 06:36 PM.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. If T-Mo is that good, why'd you leave? And if VZW isn't working out, why not use the 30 day deal?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links