DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessing Exchange e-mail will cost an extra $15 per month

1. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Johns Phone
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer

Accessing Exchange e-mail will cost an extra $15 per month

i just stumbled across this on another forum. Basically if you currently have BES 44.95 a month wont notice any change in price.

heres the link: Want a Droid for work e-mail? It'll cost you extra | Mobilize - InfoWorld

The industry is abuzz over the Motorola Droid, the first Google Android 2.0-based smartphone, to be released on Friday, Nov. 6, in the United States, with network access provided by Verizon Wireless. But users who buy the device and expect to use its built-in Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support to get corporate e-mail from Exchange servers will have to pay an additional $15 per month for the privilege, Verizon confirms.”
    Verizon offers three data plans for Droid customers: $30 month on top of your voice plan’s rate for non-Exchange usage, $45 per month on top of your voice plan’s rate for Exchange usage, and $50 per month total cost for a data-only plan (whether or not you use it to access Exchange). Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney notes that the requirement to get the $45 “smartphone plan” for corporate e-mail usage applies to any smartphone, such as the BlackBerry — not just to the Droid. “The Droid is primarily a consumer phone,” Raney adds.”

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Yeah that sounds like verizon for you.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  4. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Johns Phone
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    the price is no different then if you currently access exchange with a windows mobile or blackberry device....
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Hope the extra discount I get for BES also applies to Exchange.
    Resistance is futile.

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Stock/ Naked Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    i just stumbled across this on another forum. Basically if you currently have BES 44.95 a month wont notice any change in price.

heres the link: Want a Droid for work e-mail? It'll cost you extra | Mobilize - InfoWorld

The industry is abuzz over the Motorola Droid, the first Google Android 2.0-based smartphone, to be released on Friday, Nov. 6, in the United States, with network access provided by Verizon Wireless. But users who buy the device and expect to use its built-in Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support to get corporate e-mail from Exchange servers will have to pay an additional $15 per month for the privilege, Verizon confirms.”
    Verizon offers three data plans for Droid customers: $30 month on top of your voice plan’s rate for non-Exchange usage, $45 per month on top of your voice plan’s rate for Exchange usage, and $50 per month total cost for a data-only plan (whether or not you use it to access Exchange). Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney notes that the requirement to get the $45 “smartphone plan” for corporate e-mail usage applies to any smartphone, such as the BlackBerry — not just to the Droid. “The Droid is primarily a consumer phone,” Raney adds.”
    I have my work Outlook automatically forwarded to my gmail....and then GMail set to 'reply from' my work email. My company also has Outlook Web Access....may want to see if that work-around will work to save $15
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    If it's work related, you might be able to justify your employer paying for it. But why would you want your boss to be able to email you wherever you are?
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    well for me it's not so much my bosses being able to email me, we have software set up to notify us when servers go down and things of that nature. we had an older PDA with winmo on it that i used before, but would be nice not to have that thing anymore lol. with working for the state (might be the case with other people here) that i would get a % off the service and if i had a BB i would get another 25% off the BES service, so it made it almost equal to the normal data plan.
    Resistance is futile.

9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I really think (hope) this is dealing with the Verizon Exchange service as talked about in this link:

Verizon Offers Push Email And Web, Hosted Exchange Mail Services

Charging for Exchange sync that is hosted by your employer makes no sense. There is no value added service that Verizon provides, it's just a data pass through like a web site, but usually with less data. As long as you stay under your 5GB/Month limit Verizon shouldn't care what data you pass through.

My guess the $15/month is for Verizon to host an Exchange service, but they'll still sell it to unsuspecting buyers.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Yeah after i posted it, i was thinking the same thing.
    Resistance is futile.

11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    The problem isn't with you - it's with Verizon. They need to be much more clear to their customers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links