DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Is rooting for old or cheap phones?

  1. RS Lead
    dezymond's Avatar
    Member #
    3167
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    10,395
    Liked
    1041 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ajarnfalang View Post
    Some people just want to take it out of the box and use it. Done.
    And they're allowed that choice with Android as well. So now I don't understand the fuss about ROMs. You're seeing them is a negative when they're not, in fact, they improve performance and add features on many phones.

    Again, I feel you're going into this switch with the wrong intention and wrong information. I'll be glad to help you in learning more about Android, but if you're this defensive about a topic that you're not even going to pursue, you really are going into it for the wrong reasons.

    You are the one who is trying to understand the reasons behind ROMs, I am just providing you a few answers. You yourself mentioned "as long as there is a choice there is nothing wrong with that", yet you question the choices of others.
    Last edited by dezymond; 09-12-2013 at 07:05 PM.
  2. Senior Droid
    ajarnfalang's Avatar
    Member #
    353887
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    104
    Liked
    10 times
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by littevers1991 View Post
    Customs ROMS are only required to be flashed on your phone if you find your built in ROM outdated and want some other features too. Custom ROMS are basically developed by developers to make a full flash use of your phone. But the most important thing is that rooting as well as flashing custom ROMS voids the warranty of your phone. So think twice before rooting it.
    Not me. Never. I don't want to install some guy's software in my phone.

    If I get 1 update from LG in 2 years that's good enough. After that ill buy a new phone anyway.
  3. Master Droid
    newbroot83's Avatar
    Member #
    328100
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    415
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by littevers1991 View Post
    Customs ROMS are only required to be flashed on your phone if you find your built in ROM outdated and want some other features too. Custom ROMS are basically developed by developers to make a full flash use of your phone. But the most important thing is that rooting as well as flashing custom ROMS voids the warranty of your phone. So think twice before rooting it.
    Rooting and flashing doesnt always void your warranty. Technically it only voids it if the problem was caused by rooting or if you get caught.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    dezymond and Mike.757 like this.
  4. Master Droid
    newbroot83's Avatar
    Member #
    328100
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    415
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by littevers1991 View Post
    Technically it does if the phone is taken to the care center for any kind of repairing or replacing work. The bootloader screen shows "UNLOCKED" if the phone is rooted. And the second important thing is that the rooted android phone which is flashed with custom rom contains a software called busybox or superuser.
    Ive always rooted my phones. My last phone was a razr maxx. It was rooted and running a custom rom. I busted the screen on it. It wasn't caused by root and they didnt freak lol. But no one sends their phone back rooted and rom'd unless they actually did screw up their phones by rooting. My note 2 was rooted and unlocked with the flash count showing one. Now its all stock again. No root and flash count zero.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Senior Droid
    ajarnfalang's Avatar
    Member #
    353887
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    104
    Liked
    10 times
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia50 View Post
    I agree rooting doesn't erases the OS, it just provides the user with superuser privilege and hence the user gets control to modify things according to him.
    Sounds like an easy way to brick a phone.
  6. Master Droid
    newbroot83's Avatar
    Member #
    328100
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    415
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ajarnfalang View Post
    Sounds like an easy way to brick a phone.
    It can be if you stupidly do things blindly. But it can also have more rewards. With no risk there is no reward. Research and research some more before doing anything. Itll be fine.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    bkdodger and dezymond like this.
  7. Super Moderator
    bkdodger's Avatar
    Member #
    241029
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,719
    Liked
    793 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note3(N2/Nexus)
    Premium Member
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ajarnfalang View Post
    Sounds like an easy way to brick a phone.
    No more than you dropping it in a pool of water by accident...knowledge my friend is everything. ..development community is incredible ..

    N2 tap'd HD
    CJM, newbroot83, Mike.757 and 1 others like this.
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
    Forum Rules Here!!


  8. Senior Droid
    ajarnfalang's Avatar
    Member #
    353887
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    104
    Liked
    10 times
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdodger View Post
    No more than you dropping it in a pool of water by accident...knowledge my friend is everything. ..development community is incredible ..

    N2 tap'd HD
    Ever heard of Erica the technology need who likes to film stuff?

    She's very knowledgable. Watch one or 2 of her videos before making comments.

    She bricked her SIII. Watch her S3 videos she mistakenly clicked on the wrong file because they were on top of each other. Ended up installing the one for a Note 2. She killed the phone.
  9. Master Droid
    newbroot83's Avatar
    Member #
    328100
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    415
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ajarnfalang View Post
    Ever heard of Erica the technology need who likes to film stuff?

    She's very knowledgable. Watch one or 2 of her videos before making comments.

    She bricked her SIII. Watch her S3 videos she mistakenly clicked on the wrong file because they were on top of each other. Ended up installing the one for a Note 2. She killed the phone.
    Which means she wasnt paying attention. You should never do anything blindly. And its pretty hard to hard brick one. Send a link a let us see what happened.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    dezymond, bkdodger and Mike.757 like this.
  10. Senior Droid
    ajarnfalang's Avatar
    Member #
    353887
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    104
    Liked
    10 times
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by newbroot83 View Post
    Which means she wasnt paying attention. You should never do anything blindly. And its pretty hard to hard brick one. Send a link a let us see what happened.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Not really. She's probably more tech savvy than you. Could happen to anyone.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Websites to get used phones for CHEAP?
    By KwlAznKid in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
  2. Rooting almost all phones
    By droseum20 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 04:48 PM
  3. Phones feeling cheap when held!!!
    By bamaboy74 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Find us on Google+