DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Warriors beware... Not ready for prime time for us business users...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Road Warriors beware... Not ready for prime time for us business users...

Well, I have been playing with the droid for a week now and have made the sad decision to return it and go back to my Windows 6.1 phone ....

My primary reasons for returning it are because I am a serious road warrior with my phone and it is a critical business tool.

My Droid fails as a business tool in a couple areas (where my Samsung i760 does great)

1-teathering, got it to work but it is slow and a bit of a pain
    2-Exchange outlook, email synces great, but the mail client is lacking functionality (accept invites, sort, folders, etc)
    3- calander (corporate) very lacking in functionality
    4- call signal strength, I loose calls easily, and people complain of poor voice quality on their end
    5- lack of edit capability on docs, xls, other office stuff (some apps available for a price though)
    6-very hard to use while driving as everything takes multiple taps, slides, or other visual type things to do. Not good in a state where cell phone usage has strict limitations
    7-keyboard is a bit hard to use compared the great keyboard on the 760 (I could get used to it, and the landscape onscreen keyboard is actually very good)
    8-Bluetooth functionality is very poor. No handsfree dial, voice command.

I think the phone is great for a casual user and the form factor is nice and it feels solid.

I know there are OS updates due out in mid Dec, and again in Jan. that will (may) address some of this, but since I only have a 30 day window to decide if I want to keep it, I have decided to stay with my bulky but tried and true i760 and re-evaluate the droid once the new OS patch is released.

Not trying to rain on any parades, just wanted to give my feedback to those who are looking for a business phone and are not able to compromise on the core phone and PIM functions we are accustomed to.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X, Fascinate, G-Tab...
    Later... Have Fun!
  3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1567 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Droid certainly is not for everyone but at least you have a device that you like and can use.

Just addressing a few of your points as being innaccurate

#3 Calendar lacking in functionality- For who? For you? Im not a casual user and the the app fills MY needs.

#4 Call quality and dropping calls- That is your experience. Overall the majority of users are not experiencing that problem.

Lastly, the phone is an excellent business device for some. I'm a 90/10 user (90% biz/10% casual) and it works PERFECTLY for MY needs.

nontheless the device does not meet YOUR particular needs and the important thing is that you have a device that works great for you.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Quote Originally Posted by jismail View Post
    4- call signal strength, I loose calls easily, and people complain of poor voice quality on their end
    This sounds like two issues; one, the Verizon network in the area(s) you have tried it in may be the cause of issues with signal strength and dropped calls; two, I have seen a number of people complain of low voice quality, this seems to be a defect with the device it self and (again, from what I have heard) warrants replacement of your device under warranty/product defect.

Quote Originally Posted by jismail View Post
    5- lack of edit capability on docs, xls, other office stuff (some apps available for a price though)
    I have yet to see any smartphone/PDA that has any sort of truly native support for editing MS Office files at no cost. On some Palm devices a basic or trial version of Documents-To-Go was preinstalled but the actual price of this software was simply built into the price of the device. This same software is available for Palm, Blackberry and Android devices; in the case of the Droid (unlike Palm and Blackberry devices) it isn't preinstalled.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    There are a few fixes that need to be done on the business side of things for alot of the corporate people. But most should be in the OTA on dec.11th. Those that aren't will be in the next one.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I wonder if you had a bad unit because of the "poor voice" quality you mentioned. Everyone I've talked to and asked (about a half dozen people) have said my calls are much clearer than they ever were before.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Do you have confirmation that on-device data encryption, mandatory PIN usage and remote wipe capability will be included in either the December or January OTA? These are critical, and mandatory, for my company. IPhone, BB and Palm Pre all support these data security issues that through Exchange ActiveSync. Without these we are not allowed Exchange connectivity.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Not trying to be negative , just sharing my observations

I am only trying to give MY observations of the functionality provided currently as it is.

I'm glad your requiements are met by the Droid, and I am not trying to diss it. Just trying to let anybody who is on the fence about buying one know that it has some missing features that many of the business focused phones that use the other OS's have as standard features and if you require those features, this phone may have issues/compromises for you...
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I do agree that the i760 was the best keyboard I ever had, but besides that the phone was a POS.

Anyway the phone is not for everyone. The only issue i'm having as far as bus. use is I can't find a way to open my efaxes in .tif format.

I also don't get the call quality complaint, maybe you had a bad unit?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    There are a few fixes that need to be done on the business side of things for alot of the corporate people. But most should be in the OTA on dec.11th. Those that aren't will be in the next one.
    You've obviously did not come from a blackberry. You go around saying this dec 11th update is going to fix everything. Expect there to be problems. Expect things to not get fixed. Hope for it, but do not say it is true when no one knows for sure what the final product really will be.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links