DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Rooting

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Question Rooting

I know this has been asked, but now that people have rooted for awhile, can you use any app when you do it? and are people happy in general with it rooted? Can you please list some pros/cons as I am still on the fence with this? currently running stock droid, what will it do for me if I don't plan on messing with it much or doing anything extreme with the phone or apps except maybe overclocking a little. thanks in advance.

also if rooting which is the simplest, safest way to go? and any way of overclocking without rooting?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid!
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...rclocking.html

That is my thread about it, you can find a pretty good tutorial written by a great member here on page four, and if you read through it you can pretty much see i screwed up every step almost, and succeeded. Rooting and overclocking is all I wanted to do, mainly because I was running sweeter home 2, and needed some more power to function good. Benefit would be with the setcpu app from the market (root only users) you can actually set it to under-clock when not in use, so you save battery there. Con, none so far, but I have only been rooted one day.
    And now a Message from the Admins...
    -Respect is rule number one. Normal social rules and etiquette apply, even while hiding behind a keyboard.
    -Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -If you want to pick a fight about something, you will have to find somewhere else to do so.
    -Report any offensive post or PM, they will be handled.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid Rooted: BB 950Mhz
    I've been rooted for month and understand it completely. People seem to forget what's rooting is. The word "root" in any device is foundation of the devise (the file it needs to work properly) so when you root your droid you are ganing acess to the root of the phone. It dosent turn your phone into transformers or hurt it. You can use all apps just like a regular phone and even more apps beacouse you are now rooted. I made a good youtube video for rooting. It is very easy and I explain step by step. I made it just for the people who wants to root. You don't have to be awesome with computers just watch it. =)
    HPF Turbo Stage II Kit:17,000$
    Blue Candy Paint Finish: 3,000$
    DrOiD Kickin' it on the dashboard:600$

Watching your ex and her new boyfriend stare at your bimmer as they crash into a tree.....
    PRICELESS
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    so which is the simplest safest way to go? what do you use as a backup, and when the 2.1 finally comes out will that have an effect on the phone if you root. For example is there anything you will have to do like unroot and the root again or can you just keep using it the way it is? some pros/cons would still be nice. thanks in advance.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Love it. Since I rooted I have played with wiring tethering live wall papers pinch to zoom on native browser 2.1 launcher over clock custom themes. ..... you know some of the stuff we been waiting for Motorola. To send in the 2.1 update. Oh forgot 5 home screens.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by findit View Post
    so which is the simplest safest way to go? what do you use as a backup, and when the 2.1 finally comes out will that have an effect on the phone if you root. For example is there anything you will have to do like unroot and the root again or can you just keep using it the way it is? some pros/cons would still be nice. thanks in advance.
    DroidMod Updater is by far the easiest way. It will root your phone, create a backup and install the Droidmod ROM all automatically. When 2.1 gets pushed, you won't get it. You'd have to first unroot, which is done by the push of a button in DroidMod Updater. IMO, the current ROMs are far better that what's expected to get pushed OTA so there's really no reason to unroot after the update comes in. I can guarantee you won't have wireless tether, overclocking and the ability to apply themes (just to name a few favorites) in the OTA update.
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin1016 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by findit View Post
    DroidMod Updater is by far the easiest way. It will root your phone, create a backup and install the Droidmod ROM all automatically. When 2.1 gets pushed, you won't get it. You'd have to first unroot, which is done by the push of a button in DroidMod Updater. IMO, the current ROMs are far better that what's expected to get pushed OTA so there's really no reason to unroot after the update comes in. I can guarantee you won't have wireless tether, overclocking and the ability to apply themes (just to name a few favorites) in the OTA update.

IM running droidmod now.

Links