DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Cellphone Video vs Camcorder

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR

Cellphone Video vs Camcorder

Just curious... Does anyone have a camcorder anymore? I have a RAZR and was taking a video of our son today. A few years ago we bought a Flip video camera. And I hadn't used it in probably a year and a half, so I got that out too just to play around with, recodrding a four year old talking about dinosaurs. And the quality of the video is far better on my DROID. I mean, it was no surprise -- 1080p @ 30 fps for the RAZR vs VGA quality video for the Flip (it's a gen 2 Flip -- the HD version was gen 3 as I recall). I was just messing around as I hadn't even looked at the Flip in some time. Just for fun, I looked at Amazon and a decent Sony Handycam goes for about $250 or so. And so far as I can tell about the only difference in terms of the quality of the recording (i.e. forget the difference in the guality of the lenses) is the Handycams are 1080p @ 60 fps. Obviously better but still...

So anyone shoot video with an average camcorder care to weigh in and tell me if it's worth $300 or so, compared to any good cellphone camera? Just curious. Looks like that whole market is basically dead to me.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    I shoot short video on my droid 4 out of convenience. Its always on hand. Longer videos eat up my battery and fill my storage.

I have an older insignia camera, similar to a flip video, got it from bestbuy for about $100 several years ago.
    Zooming on a camcorder, for me is smoother, using a dedicated bi-directional lever.

Camcorders usually have a screw mount to attach to a pocket sized or full size tripod. Also, when traveling and sightseeing, or at the beach, where it might get wet or stolen, I prefer to leave my phone locked in the safe.

The video quality is actually better on my droid, but as I said, the camcorder is several years old.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    rognish
    Phone
    SCH-I515
    I have the HD flip and a galaxy nexus. I will say the flip video recorder is very easy a point and shoot. But I only take it on vacation because a lot of time it easer to access and start recording then using my phone.
  4. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    I don't think it could ever truly replace a camcorder, but for "on the go" situations they're a great alternative. For myself, it's more than enough, but if you're into recording, a phone camera just won't do the job.

Smartphones today take great photos and videos, but it can't replace either.

Links