DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fox fi has stooped its support for the older free versions and now forces update

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Fox fi worked good for me all day until tonight I got this new message forcing me to update to the new version that had caps and fees

Fox fi has stooped its support for the older free versions and now forces update-forumrunner_20121203_011008.png

I hope this won't be another example of cool ass devs getting greedy
    Last edited by jwilly216; 12-02-2012 at 11:22 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    I couldn't even watch a full episode of lost before told me I reached my limit and needed to buy the full version or restart the app. Bunch of sellouts I used to think the developers for this app where really bad*ss for going against the carriers but now they're lame
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Phone
    note 2
    Premium Member
    I've been using foxfi for years for free, I'm more then happy to pay a dev 6- to have the full version, making programs and writing code is no easy task(or everyone would do it) 6- for 2 year, plus many more is a great buy, i pay for mobile hotspot, but vzw's app sucks so i us foxfi, very user friendly and works perfect on razr, being cool doesn't pay the bills.

8th Infantry division
    Last edited by xtor; 12-03-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    FoxKat and cwalter24 like this.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Taking an app that people cherished as being free and a staple of reason android is so amazing and during down all support unless you'll comply by passing them is an awful thing to do.it's not about being cool. Besides , there were lots of other ways they could've went about this. This was a nasty greedy way. It's something Verizon would do
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Re: Fox fi has stooped its support for the older free versions and now forces update

Quote Originally Posted by jwilly216 View Post
    I couldn't even watch a full episode of lost before told me I reached my limit and needed to buy the full version or restart the app. Bunch of sellouts I used to think the developers for this app where really bad*ss for going against the carriers but now they're lame
    Yeah, they should keep working for free! Jerks. Can't believe they want to get paid for their time.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member

Re: Fox fi has stooped its support for the older free versions and now forces update

Let's keep this thread civil.
    Personal attacks toward members, which hasn't happened so far, will result in this thread being closed and possible further action toward the attacker.
    Thank you.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
    FoxKat likes this.
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Note

Any alternatives?

First of all, to the guy saying we're complaining about people wanting to be paid for their work, that's pretty dumb. Personally, I don't mind spending 7$, I just don't like how this was implemented. One day I go to use it and I get a message saying I can't. What's to stop them from doing the same thing six months from now citing that they've had to do a lot of upgrades? Does this eventually turn in to a monthly update costing money? I'm not down for that. I'd pay money for this, but I know there are free alternatives, and I don't trust FoxFi anymore. I can't merit spending money on a product when it's use can be taken away at any given time.

Really disappointed with this. I know there are alternatives such as rooting your phone, but are there any alternatives for those of us who don't want to bother rooting?

If anything, FoxFi doing this will just get me to stop being lazy and root my phone finally.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Quote Originally Posted by Hysterics View Post
    First of all, to the guy saying we're complaining about people wanting to be paid for their work, that's pretty dumb. Personally, I don't mind spending 7$, I just don't like how this was implemented. One day I go to use it and I get a message saying I can't. What's to stop them from doing the same thing six months from now citing that they've had to do a lot of upgrades? Does this eventually turn in to a monthly update costing money? I'm not down for that. I'd pay money for this, but I know there are free alternatives, and I don't trust FoxFi anymore. I can't merit spending money on a product when it's use can be taken away at any given time.

Really disappointed with this. I know there are alternatives such as rooting your phone, but are there any alternatives for those of us who don't want to bother rooting?

If anything, FoxFi doing this will just get me to stop being lazy and root my phone finally.
    So you're going from non-paying user to non-paying non-user. Surely you'll be missed.

The updated app still allows you to use it for free, there are just usage limits. For an app that has no ads, no pop ups, etc. you've been getting a pretty good deal.

What's to stop them from doing this again in 6 months? Nothing. You will however have saved $173 in that period so you might keep that in mind. If they charge $7/month? Still saving $23/month.

If people want to complain about getting ripped off, how about they actually get ripped off first?
    kevsgroove and dezymond like this.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by vatothe0 View Post
    So you're going from non-paying user to non-paying non-user. Surely you'll be missed.

The updated app still allows you to use it for free, there are just usage limits. For an app that has no ads, no pop ups, etc. you've been getting a pretty good deal.

What's to stop them from doing this again in 6 months? Nothing. You will however have saved $173 in that period so you might keep that in mind. If they charge $7/month? Still saving $23/month.

If people want to complain about getting ripped off, how about they actually get ripped off first?
    +1

You have to know that if Verizon could jump in and disallow any tethering without paying their $30 fee/month, they would. The nominal fee we pay to give back to developers for a service that simply works as billed, is a drop in the bucket to what you'd have to fork over to Big Red. Enjoying life my friends, simply isn't free.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysterics

You are 100% correct. By the way, after Fox fi popped up the message saying it would no longer work, I rooted my s3 specifically for wireless tether. Guess what? Wireless tether apps are broken on rooted s3's running jelly bean. Fox fi wouldn't even work. So then I unrooted just to make sure I didn't screw up my radio or anything and I tried watching an episode of lost with Fox fi. I watched 5 minutes before my connection was interrupted and Fox fi popped up in my notification bar saying I reached the data cap and needed to restart the connection. ALL of this happened because of a stupid pop-up from Fox fi saying that it was no longer supported and I needed to upgrade and pay them. THAT'S GRIMY. So guess what, now I'm just using pda net and it works perfectly while charging my battery at the same time.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links