DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticed something this evening..

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Noticed something this evening..

Today I was in town and I was checking the dBm signal strength and noticed something strange.

First off, its my understanding that the higer the number the better, ie; -68 > -100.

So, in town I was getting a signal strength reading of -68 dBm and the status bar was showing full. Anyways, I have been having trouble with the bars reading at home. (see my previous thread) At home the reading is -101 to sometimes -104 but the bars show between 3 and 4 here at the house with little fluctuation.

If any of you understand that reading I'd love a better explanation that what I found on google. Also, could you guys post your readings? I'm wondering if theres something near my house disrupting my signal, because I'm way too close to a tower to be getting these readings.

Thanks.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC Incredible "past-MotoDrd"
    Quote Originally Posted by BradDroid View Post
    Today I was in town and I was checking the dBm signal strength and noticed something strange.

First off, its my understanding that the higer the number the better, ie; -68 > -100.

So, in town I was getting a signal strength reading of -68 dBm and the status bar was showing full. Anyways, I have been having trouble with the bars reading at home. (see my previous thread) At home the reading is -101 to sometimes -104 but the bars show between 3 and 4 here at the house with little fluctuation.

If any of you understand that reading I'd love a better explanation that what I found on google. Also, could you guys post your readings? I'm wondering if theres something near my house disrupting my signal, because I'm way too close to a tower to be getting these readings.

Thanks.
    there is a cool app called "wifianalyzer"

You can see all frequencies and tell where the strongest signals prevail in a localized area as well as what frequencies are open should you want to set up a new network.

You can view graphs too... based on what that app shows.... anything in the -100db range is pretty weak. In fact -90 is pretty sucky.
    The Second Mouse gets the Cheese!
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    You can view graphs too... based on what that app shows.... anything in the -100db range is pretty weak. In fact -90 is pretty sucky.
    Interesting. Then why do my bars show 3 to full? Also, do these numbers reflect data speed or is only related to voice?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    Interesting. Then why do my bars show 3 to full? Also, do these numbers reflect data speed or is only related to voice?

Remember, there is a sweet spot in the DB spectrum. You can get a signal that is too "HOT" and it will actually be just as bad as a weak signal.

I am not sure for the 3G/Verizon world what the "sweet spot" is, but I am showing a -92 at my house. I have 3 bars (not full) and on occasion I do drop to 1x. I looked out to see if I could find the optimal db levels, but was not able to find anything. I would take a guess that it would be somewhere between -45 to -69 db. If you were to get "HOTTER" than -45 (say -25db) you would begin to see issues with noise. Noise gets amplified as the signal gets better, and gets induced as signal gets worse.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Actually the higher the number would be weaker signal. So -100dBm is weaker than -68dBm.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    neXus
    Quote Originally Posted by hacku View Post
    Actually the higher the number would be weaker signal. So -100dBm is weaker than -68dBm.
    I think the posters are referring to the "negative" values.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by lemodular View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hacku View Post
    I think the posters are referring to the "negative" values.

UMMMM... if you read my post you will discover that is exactly what I said.

HOTTER signal is just that HOT = STRONG.... and DB needs to stay in the negative ranges to be usable. If you go into the positive range for db, it would not even be a usable signal.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Technoman View Post

I am not sure for the 3G/Verizon world what the "sweet spot" is, but I am showing a -92 at my house. I have 3 bars (not full) and on occasion I do drop to 1x. I looked out to see if I could find the optimal db levels, but was not able to find anything. I would take a guess that it would be somewhere between -45 to -69 db. If you were to get "HOTTER" than -45 (say -25db) you would begin to see issues with noise. Noise gets amplified as the signal gets better, and gets induced as signal gets worse.
    Ahh...I do that on occasion. Not very often, but it does happen.

Let me ask you.. when a call comes in and say your phone is reading 3 to 4 bars do they gray out (go completely away) when you answer?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by Technoman View Post

Ahh...I do that on occasion. Not very often, but it does happen.

Let me ask you.. when a call comes in and say your phone is reading 3 to 4 bars do they gray out (go completely away) when you answer?

I haven't really looked or noticed that. I really don't have any call related issues with my phone, only slow data issues when it drops down to 1x.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Just a quick update here....I spoke with a very helpful vzw customer service Rep a little bit ago and she had to manually reset the prl on my Droid. After we disconnected a *228 opt. 2 changed my prl to a vz based prl. I'm hoping this solves my reception issues at my house.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links