DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lets Talk: is $799 worth unlimited data?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    D3, D1, XOOM

Re: Lets Talk: is $799 worth unlimited data?

Currently my bill is $183 after tax , two androids with unlimited data/500 texts each, two basic phones with no texting. 700 minutes shared for all 4. Free vzw mobile to mobile calling and text.

Share everything plan scenario :
    $80 for androids
    $60 for basic phones
    $70 4gb data(to cover 3.5gb total average usage on both smartphones )

$210 before taxes

The extra $35-$40 each month over two years, and being cautious about data usage is just not worth the subsidized price.

I'll keep my plan as-is, buy used phones,sell my old devices, and keep unlimited data on two lines as long as possible.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by pistacio; 10-03-2012 at 05:40 PM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    I have a RAZR Maxx w/unlimited. I will sell my phone to subsidize the full retail price on a newer phone to keep my unlimited. I use between 4 & 10 gig a month as I have no other source of internet. I also have a very old minute plan. 50 min/month. I rarely use voice. With tax my bill is $60.54 +/- .20 cents. I can't imagine paying over $100 as many of you do. So it's full price for me and very happily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets Talk: is 9 worth unlimited data?-forumrunner_20121003_180328.png  
    pc747 likes this.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    motorola droid bionic
    I pay 120ish two Android phones. Both on unlimited data and text. 1400 shared minutes. I too just sell my old phones and buy used ones so i can keep my data.

Rooted Moto Droid Bionic
    Running: ICS 6.7.246
    With Apex Launcher

Get dropbox i need more space:
    http://db.tt/rhMQYz60
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    For someone like me who has a good speed internet at home i'm thinking about either dropping verizon and go to a pre-paid or just pull the trigger and go with the upgrade and get a nice new shiny phone. I used about 3.5gbs this month but i know its because i was constantly online since 4g lte just went live in my area and i just wanna be like "omg im finally using 4g!!!".

In my situation it's all being focused around my next device if i do get a new verizon phone then i'll just lose my unlimited data and learn how to be more cautious of my data usage and use my wi-fi more often. But if i do decide to go pre-paid and go with an unlocked phone i would sell my gnex for a new phone.
    Light Without Heat

Current Phone: Galaxy Nexus running Shiny 4.3
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Keep in mind, a subsidized phone is not a free phone. We all want the newest an best. Therefore you pay full price of around 600-700$ or 200-300$ subsidized. Simple math means divide the 400$ difference by 24 making it $16.70 a month. Everything is going wireless, keep your unlimited. Cable companies will figure out a way to charge for cells on wifi, especially when big red owns both.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I have to wonder if part of the reason that VZ hasn't brought any new Sony devices to the table is the fact that they actually sell them for fair prices. The Sony Xperia Ion is only $449 brand new. I understand that their would have to be a variant to work on VZ's LTE, but it wouldn't be cost prohibitive. Samsung, HTC, Moto and the other manufacturers only offer their phones at the ridiculous $699 and up prices that VZ claims they are worth. The same seems to be a part of their reluctance to offer Nexus devices.

In the end I think it's going to backfire on them. AT&T and T-Mobile offer the ability to bring your own GSM devices and Sprint still offers Unlimited with new contracts. VZ certainly has its network going for them as of now but it seems the other players are stepping it up. Guess time will tell.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Phone
    D.E. Moto X. Unlimited/Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    Lets Talk: is $799 worth unlimited data?
    I don't think a used/like new - eBay/Craigslist phone for me will ever cost anywhere near $799...
    Currently, I feel like I won't even want a new phone for quite some time now with my complete satisfaction of my Bionic & all the accessories I've got for it, including the spare batteries and battery only charger etc., etc...

Using as much data as I'd like, whenever and wherever, and all the "free" things I download while enjoying it, without a worry of over charges = Priceless

TruthSeeker likes this.
    I like to watch debates, especially when they're fair!
    Another definition of ghey: When a self appointed "referee" decides to join a "debate" (that's okay) but then decides to end/close the "debate", only because both sides have valid points & he/she just can't win and/or doesn't want to hear the other opinions any longer...

Sorry, I only check/subscribe to threads that I've started, not all the ones I've posted in , PM me instead.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    For me it is not about the Unlimited, It is all about the "Talk Text and Data Plus, $20 Discount". I have 3 lines with data and the savings is $60 x 24 months is $1440. I can out right buy my phones and still keep the unlimited and it makes sense. I also have a dumb phone that I can upgrade every 20 months and then switch over to the data line, so I would break absolutely even without being under contract for the data lines. Works for me.
  9. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Phone
    LG Mach
    Most of the concern does not pertain to me. Primarily, I use my phone as a phone. I have started to move away from the 'plans', any 'plans', because I have been wasting too much money on them, for essentially poor service. I have had so many dropped calls that it is very noticeable. Since most of my calls are necessary calls from my employer, I find this to be unacceptable. I am seriously considering going back to a wired phone and/or only keeping a cell phone for 'emergency' use. All else, as far as I see it, depends upon whether a person can afford all of this. For myself, I don't see that I am getting what I pay for, whether or not I could afford it, due to the number of dropped calls and the problems that poor cell phone service brings. Too bad I remember when phone service was reliable and inexpensive.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Re: Lets Talk: is $799 worth unlimited data?

I have insurance on my Bionic (I always get insurance on all my phones, and it always comes in handy)

If I buy one used off of swappa, Verizon won't cover it since I didn't buy it through them, correct?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2
    Shoot for the moon, if you miss you're still amongst those stars.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links