DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Never owned a smartphone before, help me decide what to get?

  1. Junior Droid
    dscott7's Avatar
    Member #
    293782
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20
    Phone
    None yet
    #1

    Question Never owned a smartphone before, help me decide what to get?

    So I've never owned a smartphone before and I think it's time to upgrade. I'm on verizon.

    What I'd like:
    • Not too big
      Good battery life (I know I can't match the 5 days on my current phone, but I'd like for it to be able to make it through the day and evening comfortably)
      Rootable (Not entirely sure if I want to root or not, I really can't see many advantages besides making it look slightly different)
      Good amount of storage space (micro SD would be nice, but if it has enough internal memory that'd be fine too. I'd like to be able to keep ~400ish songs on it so I don't have to waste data on streaming music. For apps I can't imagine having more than 20 or so)
      I'd like to stay around 100 dollars
      Fast
      Good for another year+


    I've been looking at the Razr M (the new small one) and the galaxy nexus. The advantages of the razr m are that it's small, its newer, it seems faster, it has good battery life, it has micro sd. It doesn't have a removable battery, you can't move apps to the micro sd card, and it hasn't been rooted. The Galaxy nexus has been rooted, there's a ton of people who can help, it has a lot of internal storage, it has a removable battery. It doesn't have an sd card slot, it's already a year old, I don't know if verizon likes them since they're so customizable.

    Once I get a smart phone are there any apps that are must haves? I know tasker is supposed to be great, but are there any other things I'd need? Calendars, messaging, utility stuff, etc

    Do I root immediately or do I wait? Can I play music off an SD card if the music app is in the phone's memory?

    Thanks!
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid
    1coopgt's Avatar
    Member #
    266567
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    78
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    #2
    The Razr M looks like a great phone . Go for it . You don't need to root right a way . One of my favorite apps is Power Amp ( Music app) and yes you can play music from your sd card . That's what I do instead of streaming .
    TisMyDroid likes this.
  4. Droid Ninja
    drew96dawg's Avatar
    Member #
    258491
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mobile Al
    Posts
    1,113
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy note 2
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by dscott7 View Post
    So I've never owned a smartphone before and I think it's time to upgrade. I'm on verizon.

    What I'd like:
    • Not too big
      Good battery life (I know I can't match the 5 days on my current phone, but I'd like for it to be able to make it through the day and evening comfortably)
      Rootable (Not entirely sure if I want to root or not, I really can't see many advantages besides making it look slightly different)
      Good amount of storage space (micro SD would be nice, but if it has enough internal memory that'd be fine too. I'd like to be able to keep ~400ish songs on it so I don't have to waste data on streaming music. For apps I can't imagine having more than 20 or so)
      I'd like to stay around 100 dollars
      Fast
      Good for another year+


    I've been looking at the Razr M (the new small one) and the galaxy nexus. The advantages of the razr m are that it's small, its newer, it seems faster, it has good battery life, it has micro sd. It doesn't have a removable battery, you can't move apps to the micro sd card, and it hasn't been rooted. The Galaxy nexus has been rooted, there's a ton of people who can help, it has a lot of internal storage, it has a removable battery. It doesn't have an sd card slot, it's already a year old, I don't know if verizon likes them since they're so customizable.

    Once I get a smart phone are there any apps that are must haves? I know tasker is supposed to be great, but are there any other things I'd need? Calendars, messaging, utility stuff, etc

    Do I root immediately or do I wait? Can I play music off an SD card if the music app is in the phone's memory?

    Thanks!
    Congrats on deciding to try a smartphone. The nexus and razr m are both great devices. The razr m will most likely have a root tool available soon. The m will also be good if you live in an area with subpar signal, moto is known for their strong radios. Even though the nexus is a year old it is guaranteed to be supported by google for another year. You can buy extended or multiple batteries to help it last longer. Many people had issues with reception with it though so if you live in a rural area I would be cautious about buying it. In the end it all comes down to which one feels better in your hand.
    Welcome to droid forums!
    My favorite apps are:
    Gsam battery monitor
    Rom toolbox pro (only need once you root)
    Tapatalk(forum app)

    Sent from a Droid2 Using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
    Last edited by drew96dawg; 09-22-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    TisMyDroid likes this.
  5. Rescue Squad
    TisMyDroid's Avatar
    Member #
    171269
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,462
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #4
    Welcome to DroidForums dscott! I think when you go to Verizon to play with the phones, that will help make your decision.

    With the M, there are a few disadvantages to not having a removable battery but as much as I worried about that with my Razr, I really have not missed it at all.

    The need for adding storage is a definite must for me so having expandable storage is important imho.

    I am not certain about whether you can move apps to the sdcard or not on the M but it seems like you should be able to. But even so, I believe the dedicated storage for apps is the same as my Maxx... I have not moved any apps to my sdcard, I have 130 apps installed and I still have over 2gb free for more apps so the M should be good for that.

    Like drew said, if you are in an area that does not have a strong signal, Motorola is recognized for their great reception.

    There is no need to root right away and you may find that you don't even feel a need to root.

    There are a ton of apps to get you started. Quick pic for your photo gallery is very popular. gsams for monitoring battery usage is also popular. Poweramp is my choice for listening to music. Pretty much anything you want to do, there is an app for that.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  6. Droid Ninja
    drew96dawg's Avatar
    Member #
    258491
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mobile Al
    Posts
    1,113
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy note 2
    #5
    The man thng I don't like about the gnex is that it doesn't have gorilla glass

    Sent from a Droid2 Using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
  7. Junior Droid
    dscott7's Avatar
    Member #
    293782
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20
    Phone
    None yet
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    I think when you go to Verizon to play with the phones, that will help make your decision.
    I went to verizon today and was able to play with the M a little bit and it felt pretty good. They said the galaxy nexus is only available online now though so I wasn't able to see it in person.
  8. Rescue Squad
    TisMyDroid's Avatar
    Member #
    171269
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,462
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #7
    Oh wow, that's too bad because being able to see them in real life does help with the decision.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  9. Droid Ninja
    syndicate0017's Avatar
    Member #
    166960
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,014
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    #8
    Those recommending the M for signal strength may want to look into this.

    https://forums.motorola.com/posts/5fb46833c0?page=1

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  10. Droid Ninja
    drew96dawg's Avatar
    Member #
    258491
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mobile Al
    Posts
    1,113
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy note 2
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017 View Post
    Those recommending the M for signal strength may want to look into this.

    https://forums.motorola.com/posts/5fb46833c0?page=1

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Wow that sucks. Why would they mess with the radio placement?

    Sent from a Droid2 Using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
  11. Junior Droid
    dscott7's Avatar
    Member #
    293782
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20
    Phone
    None yet
    #10
    Well I'm going to be in a place where there won't be 4g coverage for the next year. 3g and normal cell service is fine correct?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Content Not Owned?
    By konvar in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 08:26 PM
  2. Certified pre-owned?
    By GraphicDemon in forum Sony Xperia Play
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 12:36 AM
  3. Bootloader owned
    By funkyb in forum HTC ThunderBolt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 07:14 AM
  4. Certified Pre-Owned
    By Matrices in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM

Search tags for this page

cant decide which smartphone to buy
,
disadvantage of non removable battery smartphones
,
disadvantages of non removable batteries in smartphone
,
disadvantages of non removable battery of smartphone
,
disadvantages of smart phone without removable battery
,
never owned smart phone advise
,
removable storage disadvantage for smartphones
,

smart phone disadvantage of micro sd

,
use rom toolbox pro with tasker
,
why are apps running on my droid
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+