DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Retrieve SMS database from "dead" Galaxy Nexus

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Retrieve SMS database from "dead" Galaxy Nexus

Greetings; first post here, and I'm hoping someone can help. I've done some searching both within the forums and on Google, and can't find an answer to this problem.

Situation: My GNex took a baseball to the screen; the screen is shattered and unresponsive, but the phone will power on and I can see the file structure if I connect via USB to my PC. I've retrieved all the files and photos that I want to save from the phone by copying to the PC, but not the text messages. I had a backup for the text messages, but it's gone (different story for another time). So I've been searching for a way to retrieve these text messages that can be executed entirely from the PC side, since I have no way of installing an app on the phone. I'd either like to be able to copy the SMS database to a new phone via PC, or dump it into some sort of manageable text format.

From the searches I've done, it seems like I might be able to do this using some sort of developer's code; I'm not a developer, but could probably walk through step-by-step instructions if someone could provide them (i.e., Install this program, plug in the phone, enter these lines of code, etc.)

The phone is stock (not rooted), and was just recently updated to ICS 4.0.4 (?)

Samsung says they can "fix" the phone for $160+, but that they won't be able to save any of the data since the phone isn't navigable (I assume they'll just send a replacement).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    you can install this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Jlc3RvcmUiXQ..
    If you can find a way to navigate through the app and make a backup it'll save your texts, this is what i use and its easy
    Once you back them up you can just plug your nexus into your pc and just extract the file
    Light Without Heat

Current Phone: Galaxy Nexus running Shiny 4.3
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Thanks, but that won't work

I can't install anything to the phone (or use the apps that are already on the phone), because the screen is dead. I need an app that will work entirely from the PC side.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

A Real Solution

I had the same problem trying to get contacts off my galaxy s3 with a broken screen, and the solution was a program called "My Phone Explorer" from FJ Software Development It's free, you DON'T have to be rooted, modded, or apped to use it, and it seriously took me a minute or so to get my contacts AND text messages. I had tried everything I could find on the web, plus the people at my Verizon store, but couldn't find a solution that worked for retrieving contacts AND SMS messages from a phone with a broken screen. I hope it's as good for you as it was for me. This seriously was a couple of clicks for a solution. All I ask is that you tell two people about it if it works for you, since this program is free, and promotion is the best thing we can do for the guy that made it. Donation is also an option on the fjsoft website.

Coney Fox
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    0(949)770
    yeah,i think so,the screen is dead. I need an app that will work entirely from the PC side.thank you
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Moto X... The Game?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmavros View Post
    I can't install anything to the phone (or use the apps that are already on the phone), because the screen is dead. I need an app that will work entirely from the PC side.
    Actually you can remote install from the android market website
    https://play.google.com/store
    But your bigger issue is actual opening and setting up the app.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Moto X... The Game?
    @jmavros and @bbsanchez, I tried using the app my phone explore that was suggested above it works you need to just plug in the phone and if it powers up that's all you need!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmavros View Post
    Greetings; first post here, and I'm hoping someone can help. I've done some searching both within the forums and on Google, and can't find an answer to this problem.

Situation: My GNex took a baseball to the screen; the screen is shattered and unresponsive, but the phone will power on and I can see the file structure if I connect via USB to my PC. I've retrieved all the files and photos that I want to save from the phone by copying to the PC, but not the text messages. I had a backup for the text messages, but it's gone (different story for another time). So I've been searching for a way to retrieve these text messages that can be executed entirely from the PC side, since I have no way of installing an app on the phone. I'd either like to be able to copy the SMS database to a new phone via PC, or dump it into some sort of manageable text format.

From the searches I've done, it seems like I might be able to do this using some sort of developer's code; I'm not a developer, but could probably walk through step-by-step instructions if someone could provide them (i.e., Install this program, plug in the phone, enter these lines of code, etc.)

The phone is stock (not rooted), and was just recently updated to ICS 4.0.4 (?)

Samsung says they can "fix" the phone for $160+, but that they won't be able to save any of the data since the phone isn't navigable (I assume they'll just send a replacement).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by comk4ver; 01-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Links