DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trick to upgrade after June 28 and still keep unlimited data...?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Dinc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule65 View Post
    I had the exact same experience. Did everything on the 2nd line but the upgrade and activation remained on the 1st line in the order confirmation. Canceled the order.
    Yeah they haven't backed down in my case. I'm still holding the iPhone 5 I received on launch day still unactivated because I'm not positive I want to give up unlimited. The choice is compounded by the fact that this phone absolutely chews through data. I typically use about 250 MB data per month. Using the iPhone strictly over WiFi has burned up almost 1 GB the second week just getting push email, calendar, and google voice notifications. I haven't made a single call yet, and measured this over week 2 to 3 so as not to include the initial download and updating of apps. Once the LTE calls are included, I expect a hard time keeping it under 10 GB/month. No netflix, no streaming radio, no data hog programs, and it's using 4 times the data in 1 week that my old droid incredible used in a month doing even more stuff. That's the part I didn't budget in - that doing the same things on the iPhone results in 40 times more data usage. Looking like I'll have to return the phone too, an extra $50/month for the 10GB data tier is not worth it. Just wish I would have used my upgrade back in February to get a 4S instead of holding out 7 months for it to become worthless. Well, not completely worthless, I got to play with an iPhone 5 on WiFi for a couple weeks.
    Last edited by dan_akdroid; 10-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_akdroid View Post
    That's the part I didn't budget in - that doing the same things on the iPhone results in 40 times more data usage.
    Wow, I expected to use more data but nothing like that -- I wonder if you have this WiFi glitch? I'm back in wait mode...
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryStamen View Post
    Hi crownjbl,

So, did you do the entire process in person, in a store? Including the phone switch back as well, or did you do any of the process online at vzw.com?

I ask because I am only a week away from my eligibility date, and I want to make sure I can get the new iPhone 5 (LTE!!!), and still retain my $30 unlimited data plan.

Thanks!
    I did the entire process in store. We upgraded her phone in store (while switching her 'old' droid 3 phone to my line), and went back to another store a day later and swapped the phones. I thought I would be able to swap the phones online at home, but found out I couldn't swap them online because the system wouldn't let me and a rep. told me I had to go to a store (I'm guessing because any line change for a 4g phone with a sim card requires a new sim card? Either that or you can't swap a 4g/3g phone online.). Therefore we did the swap in store also. Sorry to hear other people's attempts aren't working, mine worked perfectly fine. If you repeat my steps I don't see why it wouldn't work. Do everything in person.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by crownjbl View Post
    I did the entire process in store. We upgraded her phone in store (while switching her 'old' droid 3 phone to my line), and went back to another store a day later and swapped the phones. I thought I would be able to swap the phones online at home, but found out I couldn't swap them online because the system wouldn't let me and a rep. told me I had to go to a store (I'm guessing because any line change for a 4g phone with a sim card requires a new sim card? Either that or you can't swap a 4g/3g phone online.). Therefore we did the swap in store also. Sorry to hear other people's attempts aren't working, mine worked perfectly fine. If you repeat my steps I don't see why it wouldn't work. Do everything in person.
    Was the new phone an iPhone 5? Maybe this works for phones you don't need to pre-order.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule65 View Post
    Was the new phone an iPhone 5? Maybe this works for phones you don't need to pre-order.
    New phone was the Galaxy S3.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I don't post much but here's my .02

I called my local Verizon store and asked if I bought the S3 could I keep my unlimited data. She said yes. Then asked how many lines do you have. I said 4. Then asked if any where NOT smartphones. I said 2 are. She then said one of them will be turned off for a second then turned back on. Then I can keep plan as is.

Granted its still $199.99 but its worth my unlimited data.

I'm going to call best buy in a lil bit and see what they say because their s3 is $149.9. Ill keep you guys posted.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Links