DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trick to upgrade after June 28 and still keep unlimited data...?

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoore1701 View Post
    I think this is slightly different. "Aaron" is using his mother's upgrade to make the switch AFTER June 28, when it (theoretically) shouldn't be possible. If I'm reading the article correctly, Aaron will upgrade his mom's phone with the phone he wants when her upgrade comes up in July. She's already on tiered data, so it won't change her account any. Then he plans to switch the phone number on her new phone with his old phone number, which has unlimited data. If it works, he will have upgraded his phone after June 28 AND kept unlimited data.
    IF it works, it's neat and clever, whether or not you call it a loophole. He might be able to do this indefinitely. I don't know about that, I don't know enough about all this.
    This should work. Here's the analogy. If you upgrade to a new phone under the subsidy, you own the phone, lock, stock and barrel. You can keep the phone on that line, move it to another line in the same plan, or sell it and put your old phone back on that line...as long as it is going from a smartphone to a smartphone.

So mom upgrades to a new smartphone, then decides she doesn't like the phone and so she "sells" the phone (actually gives it away) to her son. He in turn is simply doing an exchange from phone A to phone B on him unlimited plan. It's no different for him than a simple ESN change as if he bought the phone full retail or bought it off the Web. As for mom, she's on the hook under contract for two years to continue the service and data plan she used for the upgrade. If she terminates, she's charged the early termination fee and whatever additional recovery costs for the subsidized phone, but Verizon can't touch the phone. Her son is simply
    The lucky new phone recipient.

I can see people "selling" thier future upgrades to people who don't want to pay full retail but also don't want to lose their unlimited plan. The market for these "upBay" phones will be huge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by FoxKat; 06-19-2012 at 01:01 AM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Twitter
    shehippie
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note2 & Gnex
    I have three smartphones on the current Family Share Plan (we share 700 mins). Two of these lines are unlimited, one is a 2 gig line.

When the two gig line is due for an upgrade and I try and buy a phone for that line at the subsidized price (which I wont), it will force all 3 of my lines to the new shared data. I dont see this guys plan working.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid 2 global
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticalmalissa
    I have three smartphones on the current Family Share Plan (we share 700 mins). Two of these lines are unlimited, one is a 2 gig line.

When the two gig line is due for an upgrade and I try and buy a phone for that line at the subsidized price (which I wont), it will force all 3 of my lines to the new shared data. I dont see this guys plan working.
    I agree...

Sent from my HTC REZOUND
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticalmalissa View Post

No it won't. There is nothing forcing anyone to go on the shared data plan. It is an option. Not a requirement.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid 2 global
    After the 28th, any account that has more than one smartphone who chooses to do a subsidized upgrade will force that account into shared data. This is what Verizon wants.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm369 View Post
    After the 28th, any account that has more than one smartphone who chooses to do a subsidized upgrade will force that account into shared data. This is what Verizon wants.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND

Again you are not forced into anything. Please read what has already been posted before posting false information like this. It has been posted time and time again. No one is being forced into the shared data plan. If you do a subsidized upgrade on a data line after the 28th you will lose your unlimited plan and, for lack of a better word, be forced into a tiered data plan. VZW is not making anyone chose the shared data plan.
    cr6 likes this.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid 2 global
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin

Again you are not forced into anything. Please read what has already been posted before posting false information like this. It has been posted time and time again. No one is being forced into the shared data plan. If you do a subsidized upgrade on a data line after the 28th you will lose your unlimited plan and, for lack of a better word, be forced into a tiered data plan. VZW is not making anyone chose the shared data plan.
    Verizon needs to get on the same page because I was told by customer service that tiered data was for single line plans after the 28th unless you were already on it. Never black and white with vzw. Always confusion.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND
    Last edited by FoxKat; 06-19-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Repair of quoted text
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    The other thing to understand is this guy who came up with this "trick" is using his mother's tiered plan to get the phone upgraded. He plans to take that phone and swap it onto his unlimited plan. Again, nothing new here, except that he's described the process. His mom will remain on the tiered plan, he gets her "new" phone, she puts her old phone back onto the same number she's had already, he does an ESN/MEID swap from his old phone to the new phone and he retains his unlimited plan. Then he can either sell his old phone, or if it's more updated than his mom's he can give that to her and sell her old phone for her.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid 2 global
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat
    The other thing to understand is this guy who came up with this "trick" is using his mother's tiered plan to get the phone upgraded. He plans to take that phone and swap it onto his unlimited plan. Again, nothing new here, except that he's described the process. His mom will remain on the tiered plan, he gets her "new" phone, she puts her old phone back onto the same number she's had already, he does an ESN/MEID swap from his old phone to the new phone and he retains his unlimited plan. Then he can either sell his old phone, or if it's more updated than his mom's he can give that to her and sell her old phone for her.
    I tried this a while back and it would not let me swap the numbers to a different account. I could swap phones on the same account only. Maybe I was mislead but they refused to allow it.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Twitter
    shehippie
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note2 & Gnex
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    No it won't. There is nothing forcing anyone to go on the shared data plan. It is an option. Not a requirement.
    Ok I wont use the word force...

I will just make sure to pay full price so I dont have to pick an option. =)

(I still dont see the guys plan working.)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links