DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best news widget?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    the DROID

best news widget?

I've been searching for a good news widget but haven't come across one. Any suggestions?

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Infreakincredible
    is it true the USA today app kills your battery?
  4. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    There's a nice news widget that gives you both weather and news (or just one or the other) that'll be available when we get 2.1. You can get it now at install genie weather widget from android 2.1 | droid life: a motorola droid blog
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    the DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    There's a nice news widget that gives you both weather and news (or just one or the other) that'll be available when we get 2.1. You can get it now at install genie weather widget from android 2.1 | droid life: a motorola droid blog
    perfect that's what i've been looking for. thanks!
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Wow I just installed the genie news widget and it is better than anything in the market. Love how it does the weather too so now I don't need two separate widgets.

Simply awesome.
    Last edited by Mr. Premium; 02-07-2010 at 10:11 AM.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    eh.... I've been using that since AllDroid first posted it (over a week) and while it's okay it's not great... the weather widget is very basic (i.e. no detailed forecast, you can click the weather.com icon and it will load your browser to the page, but if I wanted to use my browser I don't need the widget).

The news is alright but not really customizable (you can select 'topics' but you can't control/select what sources you want and it is VERY repetitive). There is also no way to "clear" items after you've read them, so you waste time sorting through a lot of crap you've already read or don't care too...

Personally I'm removing it today and going back to either PaperDroid or NewsRob (they both sync with Google Reader). As for weather, WeatherBug (premium, but the free is GREAT).
    Last edited by KZIWarrior; 02-07-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    KZI - did you set the refresh for 30 minutes like mine is? No, you can't control where the news source is, but it comes from MANY. I have several custom news topics, including ham radio, and I get all sorts of news results. I've had this app for about a month or so and it is the best widget out there for the news. No, I don't use the weather feature part of it, because I use Beautiful Widgets clock and I also have WeatherBug Deluxe.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

9. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz
    I use the News/Weather Genie widget as well. It's pretty decent.

I downloaded FeedR as well, but I just can't figure it out really. I have it set to use like 200 feeds but yet sometimes when my feed for Droidforums.net updates there are no new feeds which is weird. I know that's not news but it makes me wonder how accurate my FoxNews feed is. Not sure if I'm just not understanding how it works.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    KZI - did you set the refresh for 30 minutes like mine is? No, you can't control where the news source is, but it comes from MANY. I have several custom news topics, including ham radio, and I get all sorts of news results. I've had this app for about a month or so and it is the best widget out there for the news. No, I don't use the weather feature part of it, because I use Beautiful Widgets clock and I also have WeatherBug Deluxe.
    Yeah I just prefer to not waste time looking through so many useless sources. I've been using Google Reader for a while and it's predictive handling has gotten really good at only showing me what I want.

I was looking at getting Beautiful Widgets. How is it's forecasting (i.e. is it internal or does it load it in the browser)?
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  11. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz
    What is Google Reader?

I also don't like some of the sources. I don't want to read a SINGLE drop of news from some ****rag newspaper like the NYT...but on the other hand I see Vulcan's point..there are TONS of news sources there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links