DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do I need 2 email apps?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Why do I need 2 email apps?

Newbie to smartphones and Droid here, so be kind. Wife and I each bought a Droid at the Verizon store and have been getting up to speed on what it does. The Verizon store set up our separate email accounts on our individual Droids. I'm getting mine via Gmail, and she's getting hers via the "email" app, not the Gmail app. Any reason not to remove the "email" apps, and just do everything by the Gmail apps? TIA...............R
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Gmail should be using the App, I have 3 separate gmail accounts on my app.

Switch hers over then delete the account on the native app.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Gmail app is only for Gmail accounts and the Email app is for other accounts like Yahoo and what not...you cannot remove either of these apps since they are default apps....unless you root your Droid and hack them to be able to remove default apps...

4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible Droid
    Gmail uses a native app, pop3 e-mail uses the normal email app. You need both if you use both.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    Gmail app is only for Gmail accounts and the Email app is for other accounts like Yahoo and what not...you cannot remove either of these apps since they are default apps....unless you root your Droid and hack them to be able to remove default apps...

I do not believe the OP was looking to remove the actual apps, just the account on the one Droid.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post

I do not believe the OP was looking to remove the actual apps, just the account on the one Droid.
    Oh yeah I guess so....I just seen where he said remove apps....and I figured thats what he meant. Like the other one is just sitting there taking up space and he wanted to see if he could get rid of it....but yeah he might've meant the accounts....

7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Does anyone know if having a gmail account is a requirement even if it is not used? In my case I've used gmail for years so I simply entered my usual gmail account for my Droid, but I'm under the impression that a gmail account is required. Is that true?
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Does anyone know if having a gmail account is a requirement even if it is not used? In my case I've used gmail for years so I simply entered my usual gmail account for my Droid, but I'm under the impression that a gmail account is required. Is that true?
    No it's not 'required' but users w/o a gmail will miss out on much of the 'cloud' experience. Thus that have used gmail for a while (and have paid attention to things like contacts and docs) will have a very quick (and relatively nice) setup as all their info is pulled right from the cloud. Others will have to setup contacts and such (I assume, I've used gmail since Beta days so....)
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Man, what an active forum. FWIW, yes, I did actually think that I could remove the app that I call the email app. Now I've learned to just delete the account. I'm struggling to understand all this good info. For example, the wife and I both have POP3 email accounts with our local ISP, and we both have gmail accounts that were set up when we bought the phones.

Perhaps I need to reframe our problem. Our two phones have different behaviour when receiving email. I get a notification, pull down the notifications and select emails from the list. That opens a new screen with however many new emails have arrived. I can select any in the list and view them. However on my wifes phone, when you select emails from the notifications pull-down, I get a black screen with "inbox" at the top and a "Load more messages" hot spot.

In starting to troubleshoot the difference between the two Droids, I swear that mine is showing incoming email in the Gmail app and hers in the "email" app. Yet we both have POP3 email accounts with our ISP, and we both have newly set Gmail accounts that pull from the ISP.

Gotta tell you, this is whole phone-mobile 3G cloud thing is a different vocabulary and look/feel from MS Office on a laptop on a wifi network. Messages are now conversations. Stuff has to be "rooted". Sync'ing is a big deal, etc, etc. Thanks for your patience. I'm gonna keep plugging away on the forum, and sooner or later, it'll start falling in place. This forum is already helping a bunch. Thanks for your patience.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    bdbraaten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    You don't need both apps, but either way works.

I didn't like either the default email or Gmail apps, I switched using K9 email for both my pop3 email accounts as well as checking my Gmail via imap and have been a lot happier. The only headache was figuring out how to turn off the new message notification, its a setting under accounts and sync from the home screen instead of in the gmail program where I expected it to be.
    Brent D. Braaten
    -----------------------
    Proud member of the Droid Army.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links