DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Data Upgrade HELP

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Unlimited Data Upgrade HELP

I know this is a hot topic as of late since Verizon announced they will be doing away with the UD - unlimited data. Here is my dilemma. My wife and I both have the Droid X and we love them. We are currently under contract until early december, and have the UD. We will get an upgrade discount in mid August, but I fear that is too late for the UD and will not be grandfathered in after that is announced. So we were thinking about upgrading to the razr maxx, but the best price I was able to get offered was $199 each. I've read that some people are getting them anywhere from $99 down to free. Some are claiming that they are only 6 months into their current contract and they have an OG droid and they are getting the maxx for free??? As much as I would like to upgrade our phones, I cannot afford $400-$500 just for the sake of keeping UD.
    So, if we were to upgrade to the bionic (which I believe is free), would this be a wise choice? If we got them for free, can we activate them, then deactivate them and reactivate our Dx's and keep the bionics in the event that our Dx's fail? (This would keep our UD safe for at least another 2 years). Then, if one of the Dx's fail, could we simply call and reactivate the bionic and still be under the UD plan, or is this not workable?
    As much as I want the maxx, I cannot figure out how some people are randomly selected to receive a free upgrade when they have a year and a half left in their contract and we have 6 months left and they won't budge? Any tricks to get the maxx dirt cheap or is this not possible?
    Sorry for the rambling. Thanks
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    My first thought is if you are a typical user then you probably don't use that much data anyway and you're worried about nothing. I'm not concerned about the data thing at all but I do believe that going from an X to a Bionic would be a step up. First, you have the same size screen and 4G. You will (eventually) get ICS. So if you're really that worried about it, go ahead.

Unless you listen to a lot of music like with Pandora, Amazon Cloud, or if you are one of those people who think that there is nothing wrong with using your phone as a wifi hot spot without paying, then you probably don't have anything to worry about.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Well I use streaming radio a lot, that is my concern.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Another question. I see that the razr and the maxx is almost identical except for the extended battery. Is there any other significant differences?
    If I went with the razr, can I add an extended battery down the line, making it essentially a maxx?
    Also, do the accessories from the dx work with the razr/maxx (charger, cable, cases, etc)?
    And would I be able to take my sd card from my dx with all my apps, etc. and put it into the razr?
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Colorado; 06-03-2012 at 02:27 PM.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    D1, X, Tbolt, DC, DB, GNex, S4
    Premium Member
    To answer your question about the Bionic, if you are able to get two free Bionic's then you can just activate them and switch back to your Droid X with no adverse effects to your account.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    New to android or just need to brush up on the basics? Abe has every thing you need Here:
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    To answer your question about the Bionic, if you are able to get two free Bionic's then you can just activate them and switch back to your Droid X with no adverse effects to your account.

Thanks. Is that your camaro in your sig?
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    D1, X, Tbolt, DC, DB, GNex, S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
    Thanks. Is that your camaro in your sig?
    No, but I really wish it was. The Camaro in my sig is a Hennessey HPE700. It has the LS9 dropped in to it. All work was done by Hennessey Performance Engineering.

Last edited by Quicksilver7714; 06-03-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    New to android or just need to brush up on the basics? Abe has every thing you need Here:
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

8. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
    Another question. I see that the razr and the maxx is almost identical except for the extended battery. Is there any other significant differences?
    If I went with the razr, can I add an extended battery down the line, making it essentially a maxx?
    Also, do the accessories from the dx work with the razr/maxx (charger, cable, cases, etc)?
    And would I be able to take my sd card from my dx with all my apps, etc. and put it into the razr?
    Thanks again
    Both the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX have internal batteries, just like the iPhone. While you can change them, they are not designed to do so as easily as the Bionic. This means you can't get an extended battery for the RAZR and just "pop it in."

Accessories are iffy. I doubt the case would work, cable maybe. I dunno about the charger. I've used the cables and chargers from my OG Droid on my Bionic with no problems, but that may not be the case all the time.

Assuming the sd card in the dx is the same, you should be able to do a swap. It would probably be better to move what you want from the dx to your pc and then to your new phone. That way everything on the card is geared toward the phone it's in.
    Last edited by aaf709; 06-03-2012 at 04:57 PM.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    No, but I really wish it was. The Camaro in my sig is a Hennessey HPE700. It has the LS9 dropped in to it. All work was done by Hennessey Performance Engineering.

Wow sweet ride. Supercharged I'm sure. I have a '12 Camaro RS 45th Anniversary Edition. That's why I asked. I'd love to have that one myself. Thanks
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    Both the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX have internal batteries, just like the iPhone. While you can change them, they are not designed to do so as easily as the Bionic. This means you can't get an extended battery for the RAZR and just "pop it in."

Accessories are iffy. I doubt the case would work, cable maybe. I dunno about the charger. I've used the cables and chargers from my OG Droid on my Bionic with no problems, but that may not be the case all the time.

Assuming the sd card in the dx is the same, you should be able to do a swap. It would probably be better to move what you want from the dx to your pc and then to your new phone. That way everything on the card is geared toward the phone it's in.
    Thanks aaf, this is a great help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links