As usual, if you are wanting to upgrade to Pete's Bugless Beast ROM and overclock to the frequencies found in this thread, please visit the three links in my signature. Even if you aren't going to that ROM those links will help you out.
I used Temp Monitor (1.99 on the Market, supports a developer from AllDroid.org) to gather all temps.
According to this document our max operating temperature for the Droid is 85C or 185F. Initially I was concerned about the operating temps while on 950mHz but really they aren't too far off what I was seeing on 800 or even 550, so I am going to let it stay on 950 and make sure I get these temps pretty consistently. I will update if I notice a difference over the next couple of days. Keep in mind these are the MAX temps, so there were times even where at 950mHz the temp was lower at one point than the max of 800mHz. So these are the highest I saw. PLEASE let me know how close of temps you are getting to these. The biggest differences were seen when browsing the web and playing games. The other temperature jumps were so minimal they were almost the same at times.
If you have any further questions about my methods or test please let me know.
Hopefully this is helpful because it took all afternoon.
Acceptable operating temps from this spec sheet:
Texas Instruments OMAP3430 SOM-LV
Built into the Zoom OMAP34x Mobile Development Kit (MDK):
Software and Tool Support:
- Open source Linux Board Support Package
based on kernel 2.6.22
- Texas Instruments OMAP3430 processor running at 550 MHz
- IVA 2+ Subsystem TMS320C64x+™ DSP core supporting multiple codecs
- 166 MHz Mobile DDR SDRAM memory, 128 MB
- Scalable NOR flash memory
- NAND flash memory, 256 MB
- Built-in LCD controller supports up to 24 bpp TFT interface
- Built-in driver supports XGA 1024x768 at 24-bit color
- Integrated 4-wire touch screen controller
- 10/100 Base-T Ethernet controller (application/debug)
- Integrated Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
- I2S compliant audio codec (TI TWL4030 – 16-bit stereo DAC, 13-bit ADC)
- PC card expansion CompactFlash® Type 1 card
- MMC/SD card support
- USB 2.0 high-speed host interface
- USB 2.0 high-speed On-the-Go device interface
- Three external UARTs
- Commercial temperature (0°C to +70°C)
- SOM-LV Type III form factor (31 x 76.2 x 7.4 mm)
- RoHS compliant
70C = 158F