DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I just got the D4. Starting Advice?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

So I just got the D4. Starting Advice?

It is in the box delivered. I had the old motorola d1. I will probably bring the d1 to verizon to help me move over my contacts, pictures, texts or whatever they can. Do I charge the phone fully before I bring it over? Im not sure what is best at the beginning to get the most of the battery. Especially since battery is not removable.

3. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Alot of people say fully charge it before you turn it on. I personally never followed that rule as I've always had my devices set up at the store and I'm not patient enough to wait and watch it charge. I think your battery really stabilizes after a good 2 weeks as the first couple days you'll probably be on it nonstop. Regardless you should be fine. I completely drained my nexus after it was activated then had it fully charge (while I was using it though)
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Your contacts are probably already synced to your Gmail account (to confirm, log into Gmail from a computer, click the dropdown arrow by "Gmail" on the left, and click "Contacts") so when you enter your info on your D4 during device setup, your contacts should sync automatically.

If you aren't opposed to rooting your device, then these are the first things I'd recommend:

1. Root your D4
    2. Freeze the bloatware
    3. Install AdAway ad blocker
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Im not really sure of the purpose for rooting a phone. Can I get rid of the bloatware and not root the phone?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by kpoker View Post
    Im not really sure of the purpose for rooting a phone. Can I get rid of the bloatware and not root the phone?
    Rooting allows you full access to your device. Without root access, you can't remove bloatware, run an ad blocker, and quite a bit more.

Don't get me wrong - your D4 will run very well even if you don't root. But in my opinion all the best things about Android require root access.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    No way to disable some things without rooting? Downside to rooting? I just want to get the most of my battery. Not sure if the d4 battery will last longer then the d1
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    No way to disable some things without rooting?
    You cannot freeze bloatware without root access. Motorola/Verizon have unfortunately made most of the pre-installed apps uninstallable.
    Downside to rooting?
    While rooted, your warranty is void (rooting is reversible though.) Uninstalling apps or installing an alpha/beta version of a custom ROM could result in a bricked device.

If you follow the instructions in the links I provided above though, you won't have any problems.
    I just want to get the most of my battery. Not sure if the d4 battery will last longer then the d1
    You could try adding some smart actions but the best way to improve battery life would be to freeze the bloatware and install the ad blocker. Freezing bloatware apps prevents them from using system resources and the ad blocker will save both battery and data usage by preventing ads from loading.

I also upgraded from the D1 to the D4 and my battery life is excellent (my D4 is rooted with the bloatware frozen and AdAway installed.)
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I need to root to use the ad blocker too? Im guessing there is a big difference in battery life between rooted and non-rooted?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    I need to root to use the ad blocker too?
    Yes...ad blockers won't work without root access.
    Im guessing there is a big difference in battery life between rooted and non-rooted?
    If you freeze the bloatware and install an ad blocker, you will definitely experience better battery life.
  11. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    I highly suggest you read this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...op-asking.html
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links