DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Android vs Apple vs Windows phones

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate

Android vs Apple vs Windows phones

First off I'd like to apologize if this isn't the correct forum for this question but I wasn't completely sure where to post this.

Here's the situation. A coworker who is an older gentlemen, in his 50's, is looking at getting his first smartphone for personal use and has asked for my help. Now I love android and have had 2 android phones. I've also had a Blackberry and recently played around with a Windows phone. I'm a little concerned about android being to much for him.

The question I would like to ask is which operating system would you recommend for a newbie, basically, who has never had a smartphone? Which one do think has the shortest learning more curve?

Sent from my HTC Rezound

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    If he's a complete smartphone "newb", then I'd have to lean towards the iPhone or Windows Phone. Windows Phone is great - very simple, very smooth, very much a "just works" platform since the 7.5 update, but he won't have near as many people around him to help out with that OS, honestly (and sadly! ). So that makes me lean towards the iPhone.

I'm simply thinking about my dad and a few of our clients who are that age (and up), and can't fiddle with the stuff at all. It has to "just work" 99% of the time or they're frustrated... b/c to them it's ... *gasp*... just a phone.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  4. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Shortest learning curve I'd definitely say is the iPhone. Depends on how much the person wants to learn their phone as well, I find myself still helping my parents (who are not into tech at all) with their iPhones. However, they've gotten the hang of it for the most part. Both were extremely frustrated with it them, but now they love them and they rarely put their iPhones down

windows phones are pretty straightforward as well, but I haven't had any real hands-on time with them to really comment on them. Definitely going to check them out.

As for Android, HTC UI is fairly straight forward, but you still gotta dig around to get to what you really want. Your friend may just end up getting frustrated with it and will most likely want something different. If you're comfortable with someone else using your phone (I always am) let them mess around with it for a couple minutes, see if they like how things are. Android definitely has the biggest learning curve though.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    As much as I love Android, you can't go wrong with an iPhone for a newbie. The build quality of the hardware alone is tough to beat... and the software, as jntdroid said, "just works". Sure, you are forever lassoed to Apple... which really isn't that bad of a deal considering how highly rated their tech support is.

I personally love Android for the openness and the ability to tinker (cause I am an IT "nerd"... tinker is my middle name ... but for all its benefits, the one thing I haven't really seen is a very solid "just works" phone to compete with the likes of the iphone. Phone quality varies wildly in the android marketplace... from phones like the Razr that come very close, to the super cheap "freebies" that offer lackluster support and performance and lack of updates etc. In my mind the tech support (Genius Bar, etc) is what sets Apple apart the most... especially for an older gentleman "newbie".

Keep in mind the iPhone 4s is mostly glass... make sure he gets a good case, and he might even consider AppleCare+ for $99 (and a $49/accidental incident - drops and the like, and up to 2 accidental damage fixes/replacements and unlimited hardware/software related fixes/replacements). Even with 2 accidental replacements, $200 is a hell of a lot cheaper than $699/ea for a new phone!

Always do your homework... the carrier warranties are VERY expensive... Bestbuy tried to sell my girlfriend the "Black tie" service for $14.99/mo. Thats $360 over 2 years!

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by flamewalker; 03-26-2012 at 11:38 AM.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    @Android4life28
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, Droid 2 Global
    I'd say that he'd be happiest with an iPhone, it'll be the most consistent and easy to use phone.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
    Sent from my HTC Rezound
    Rooted Unlocked and Ready to Rock!

Current ROM: Newt's One XxX Sense 4.0

7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Windows seems simple enough, but because the platform is selling so slowly the support just isn't going to be there like Android or Apple. If he's willing to see all the options Android will be great; if he wants something to the point with one way to do things Apple is definitely for him.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Links