DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon: Nexus/Rezound/Maxx

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Verizon: Nexus/Rezound/Maxx

I'm overdue for an upgrade... been limping along with my D1 on Chevy's latest steeldroid... it has breathed a little life back into it for the time being.

I love the idea of the Nexus... the ability to easily root and mod and even get the next version or 2 of Android guaranteed, or more. I've read battery life is decent too. Price is still high though ($250 through bestbuy since I signed up for the $50 credit during February). I know Samsung usually makes good hardware as well.

I love the idea of the massive battery of the Maxx... as I live in an area with poor reception, but work most of the day in the City nearby that has great reception. My concern of course is the battery... I had to replace the battery in my D1 before my 2 years was up because it wasn't holding enough charge. It would drop from like 40% to 10 in a matter of an hour or two (depending on usage). I don't like the inability to hack it as much... as I have really enjoyed tinkering with my D1. I don't HAVE to mod, but would prefer to be able to, especially since Moto is crazy slow on upgrades. On the flipside their hardware is top of the line, which is also very important to me. Price is high.

I have read some good things about the Rezound. Good price ($199), great sound, decent battery but sometimes problematic. Top of the line screen quality/resolution. HTC can be unresponsive on upgrades as well, from what I have read, however it is unlocked, is it not? I read one article that described the Rezound as essentially a great middle ground phone the unfortunately has been largely overlooked.

So, my order of needs would be:
    #1: Call quality, clarity, and ability to maintain calls. That's what a phone is for afterall, is it not??
    #2: Reliability. Hardware and battery.
    #3: Mild to moderate usage for 8-10 hours minimum, on LTE
    #4: Ability to customize/hack/mod
    #5: Price (mainly will determine how long till I can afford to upgrade ).

I usually won't root my phone for the first year to maintain the hardware warranty, and avoid the expensive monthly warranties. However I have read its usually possible to fully unroot, so I may end up rooting sooner this go around. The main reason I rooted my D1 was the lack of upgrades.

Looking forward to your input! I'm so ready for a new phone... just really torn on which one! FYI, leaning more towards Nexus or Rezound at the moment...Nexus more than Rezound by a small margin, mainly due to the hackability. The locked bootloader bothers me more than anything about the maxx...
  2. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    I have no problems with any of your needs with my Nexus.

I can't speak for the other phones, but with my time with the Rezound it was a great phone (wasn't able to judge call clarity though). I do hear alot of Rezound people recommending the extended battery though, HTC is notorious for having bad battery life. The Maxx I haven't seen yet, but that's a good choice as well.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate i500
    I am fairly familiar with all 3. I would say you need to figure out what features are most important and weigh them. I love my Nexus and a good friend has the rezound and we argue alot. (for fun) Both are happy with our phones. Another friend (he used to work for verizon) is a Motorola lover. He got the maxx but he isn't very technical and isn't sure what rooting is. I am envious of his battery life. But such is cell phone life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
    Wolfman4u
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman4u View Post
    I am fairly familiar with all 3. I would say you need to figure out what features are most important and weigh them. I love my Nexus and a good friend has the rezound and we argue alot. (for fun) Both are happy with our phones. Another friend (he used to work for verizon) is a Motorola lover. He got the maxx but he isn't very technical and isn't sure what rooting is. I am envious of his battery life. But such is cell phone life.
    Hows the call quality on the Rezound? I don't care about the beats thing cause I don't use my phone to listen to music. Good to know about the Nexus. That's the reason I am reluctant to get the Maxx even though the battery is amazing... I like to tinker - I'm an IT guy by trade

Thanks!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I got my Rezound for 99.99 during the discount week end of Feb. Sold the beats for 60 and D1 for 85 on CL. Loving the Rezound. Today my Nite Ize CCCT-03-01 tall belt carrier/case showed up. Fits nice with gelcase installed on phone. LTE screams! Battery is OK. I had installed CM7 just before Christmas on D1 which really improved it, however I would not want to go back after being Rezounded! I liked the size and feel of the Rezound the best. Razr was not good to hold. NG seemed to large! D4 was not released at the time. I am just going to wait for OTA ICS. Drives mount slowly on my XP PC. PDANET works after delay to mount phone.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
    Rezound User - Retired Techie
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    One of the reviews I read last night said their rezound seemed to have better call quality than the nexus. Seems like from everything I read the only real advantage of the nexus is native ics... that and the fact the nexus is practically guaranteed the next upgrade or two.and the ability to load custom roms out of the box. Otherwise they seem pretty similar. Seems its going to boil down to ICS and upgrades vs price...
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Gotta disagree flame walker your forgetting Nfc.

Also I have to say , since my friend got the rezound with extended battery, I still beat him on battery life. If my comp hadn't crashed I'd of rooted, rommed, an got a better radio for even more stellar battery life.

we will drive after a couple beers an NOT make a federal case out of it

Current Phone: Galaxy Note 3 (Stock Locked Bootloader Android 4.3 Jellybean)
    Retired Phone: Original Droid (Rooted and RunningCyanogenmod 7)
    Galaxy Nexus (Rooted and Rommed running JBSorcery 4.3 with Trinity Kernel)
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    stock rezound mavrom d3
    Seems as if alot of us are in the same predicament. I'm torn between the rezound and the nexus. I like the enthusiasm from the development crowd for the nexus but I like the look and feel of the rezound. I'm not sure about how much dev are liking the rezound.
    I'm due for an upgrade in 2 weeks and ready for a new phone. Is there another great smartphone on the horizon worth waiting for or should these two make due?
    Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaShowtime View Post
    Gotta disagree flame walker your forgetting Nfc.

Also I have to say , since my friend got the rezound with extended battery, I still beat him on battery life. If my comp hadn't crashed I'd of rooted, rommed, an got a better radio for even more stellar battery life.

Honestly I could care less about nfc... I don't like the idea personally. When you say better radio, you mean updated/tweaked firmware for the nexus? And when you say you beat him even with the extended, about how many hours do you get out of your nexus, and on 3g or lte? Mild, moderate, or heavy use?

Thanks!
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx

I'm a Moto Fan so I'd have to say the Maxx, BUT if it is 4.0 you want, hold off for the Fighter real easing on the 12th It is supposed to be like a DROID RAZR MAXX HD with a 720p display and on-screen-buttons with ICS preinstalled.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links