DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 17-Year-Old Hard On Smartphones...

1. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    I'm not about to give parenting advice, especially since I'm not one myself and I'm quite young. However, parent or not, it's easy to see that she doesn't seem to take good care of her things. If I were in your shoes and if it was my child, they would definitely have to take on more responsibilities before I trust them with another phone that could put quite a dent in my wallet. Try more chores or something, again, I'm not a parent and don't know where to start or your "parenting style".

What I will say is this. For her next smartphone, should you choose to let her get one again, get an otterbox. Yes they're expensive, but they're cases that can take a beating, something your daughter seems to be good at doing with her phones. It'll keep the phone protected and keep your mind at ease a bit. Also, I don't know exactly how she can keep frying phones, but if she has the wrong charger plugged into it, maybe that could be the reason. Tell her to stick with the charger that came with the phone and you shouldn't have these problems, same for a car charger, get a known company, not some cheap knockoff you find on ebay (I recommend the Moto rapid car charger). Another problem could be moisture, though since you're from Vegas, I don't see that being a problem as it's pretty dry out there. If you wanna get her another phone tell her it'll be the last, she's 17, by the time I was 17 I had enough saved up to replace whatever I broke as long as it wasn't my car.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @MzNikasTheBest
    Phone
    LG Revolution 4G LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    I'm not about to give parenting advice, especially since I'm not one myself and I'm quite young. However, parent or not, it's easy to see that she doesn't seem to take good care of her things. If I were in your shoes and if it was my child, they would definitely have to take on more responsibilities before I trust them with another phone that could put quite a dent in my wallet. Try more chores or something, again, I'm not a parent and don't know where to start or your "parenting style".

What I will say is this. For her next smartphone, should you choose to let her get one again, get an otterbox. Yes they're expensive, but they're cases that can take a beating, something your daughter seems to be good at doing with her phones. It'll keep the phone protected and keep your mind at ease a bit. Also, I don't know exactly how she can keep frying phones, but if she has the wrong charger plugged into it, maybe that could be the reason. Tell her to stick with the charger that came with the phone and you shouldn't have these problems, same for a car charger, get a known company, not some cheap knockoff you find on ebay (I recommend the Moto rapid car charger). Another problem could be moisture, though since you're from Vegas, I don't see that being a problem as it's pretty dry out there. If you wanna get her another phone tell her it'll be the last, she's 17, by the time I was 17 I had enough saved up to replace whatever I broke as long as it wasn't my car.
    We usually until the last charger, only use the charger that comes with the phone...not really frying phones but the chargers are going out. I would go to VZN to buy the chargers but it gets expensive. Not sure why the chargers are going out. I've had my house rewired after the first one went out, cause the charger to her touchpad (no I didn't buy that it was a gift from her stepmother), went out too. She only charges in her room so I had made especially sure to have those outlets checked and they are fine. LOL about the car.
    SmOkInHaWtVeGaScHiC
    Droid Newbie! I'm so gonna learn this phone one way...or another!!!
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @MzNikasTheBest
    Phone
    LG Revolution 4G LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Laureanne View Post
    I have an 18 yr old who has destroyed a few of her phones too. 2 weeks ago her 9 month old phone fell into the toilet. I make her take on extra projects/jobs around the house to work off the cost. I will not burn one of my upgrade. I also don't get her a smart phone. Yes, she complains loudly but hey at 17 or 18 they are old enough to get a job and pay for the data plan and phone. I insist that she learn to work for things. Just my humble opinion.
    3 lines all have unlimited data...and not real expensive either...would hate to lose that...but if I don't get her another phone, my fiance' will get her line and her upgrade with the unlimited data and i'll get her some dumpy phone that doesn't need a data plan and when she can pay for all that on her own, then she can get all of that. I think I'm done.

Thanks everyone, I really appeciate your ideas and your input. Was just wondering cause, I'm sooo at a loss on this one. But I think I got it now. I really think I do. Thanks thanks thanks :-)
    SmOkInHaWtVeGaScHiC
  4. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinHawtVegasChic View Post
    We usually until the last charger, only use the charger that comes with the phone...not really frying phones but the chargers are going out. I would go to VZN to buy the chargers but it gets expensive. Not sure why the chargers are going out. I've had my house rewired after the first one went out, cause the charger to her touchpad (no I didn't buy that it was a gift from her stepmother), went out too. She only charges in her room so I had made especially sure to have those outlets checked and they are fine. LOL about the car.
    Well does she leave the chargers in the power outlet when not in use? I personally make sure my chargers are unplugged when not in use. If it's left in 24/7 I can see why they're being fried. Another thing that may cause the chargers to fry is using the devices while they're plugged in, and I mean heavily using them. (This based off MY opinion, not actual "research" I've done, it's just private practice).
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @MzNikasTheBest
    Phone
    LG Revolution 4G LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Well does she leave the chargers in the power outlet when not in use? I personally make sure my chargers are unplugged when not in use. If it's left in 24/7 I can see why they're being fried. Another thing that may cause the chargers to fry is using the devices while they're plugged in, and I mean heavily using them. (This based off MY opinion, not actual "research" I've done, it's just private practice).
    No she doesn't leave them plugged in when the phone isn't charging, however, she does do the latter...that may be it. I never thought of that. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks I really 'preciate your help on this.
    SmOkInHaWtVeGaScHiC
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Get her a Casio they are ugly but suposedly mil spec and rugged

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid bionic
    Well I think personally that you should get her a smartphone and get her an otterbox case to put on it. Those things are practically indestructible.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    hothfox
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinHawtVegasChic View Post
    Her mother :-) ...lol see siggy.
    Oop, sorry about that! :X