DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New chip tech ~ in time for Droid2

  1. Droid Sensei
    KZIWarrior's Avatar
    Member #
    21812
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,634
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    #1

    New chip tech ~ in time for Droid2

    This may be slightly out of place, if it is Mods please move appropriately. But this news could mean GREAT things for future devices (i.e. Droid 2).

    Intel, Micron to Shrink NAND Flash to 25 nm - Reviews by PC Magazine
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Senior Droid
    Elysian's Avatar
    Member #
    11420
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    187
    Phone
    Moto Droid :D
    #2
    So? Just means you could have more storage... When you can already have 32gb on a tiny MicroSD card, who cares?
  4. Droid Sensei
    BayouFlyFisher's Avatar
    Member #
    14195
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    4,969
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #3
    Thanks for the link. Good read. Hope it can lead to more native memory for small devices like our phones.
  5. Droid
    cb3FSU's Avatar
    Member #
    13639
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    82
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    #4
    I wonder if theyll ever be able to use the sd card as RAM the way some computers use a USB Thumb drive.
  6. Droid Sensei
    KZIWarrior's Avatar
    Member #
    21812
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,634
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
    So? Just means you could have more storage... When you can already have 32gb on a tiny MicroSD card, who cares?
    You really have very little insight into how things work.... YES this is for memory NOW (which in and of itself is HUGE for increasing the memory capacity, I WANT a 32G+ microSD card, oh and actually you can NOT get a 32G microSD card yet) but it's more the WHAT and HOW of the technology.

    They are now down to 25nm production techniques. It's only a matter of time before they can use these techniques with more advanced things (like CPUs).... If you have to be told what this means.... But we all have our moments.

    Quote Originally Posted by cb3FSU View Post
    I wonder if theyll ever be able to use the sd card as RAM the way some computers use a USB Thumb drive.
    A more useful technique, IMHO would be to enable programs to install and run on the SD card (thus freeing memory). Then combined with the added memory this new tech you could have 1G+ of RAM on the device.
    Last edited by KZIWarrior; 02-01-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  7. Droid Ninja
    640k's Avatar
    Member #
    565
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    This may be slightly out of place, if it is Mods please move appropriately. But this news could mean GREAT things for future devices (i.e. Droid 2).

    Intel, Micron to Shrink NAND Flash to 25 nm - Reviews by PC Magazine
    not really "in time" for DROID2, since Moto has already admitted that something's in the works, most likely meaning the hardware has already been defined and built and they're going through testing.

    if it applied to anything, it would be DROID3 or 4.

    Quote Originally Posted by cb3FSU View Post
    I wonder if theyll ever be able to use the sd card as RAM the way some computers use a USB Thumb drive.
    that functionality is akin to your page file on your HD. using external storage as "RAM" is slower than anything internal. on a phone, i'd think this would be the last thing you'd want to do.
  8. Droid
    cb3FSU's Avatar
    Member #
    13639
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    82
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 640k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    This may be slightly out of place, if it is Mods please move appropriately. But this news could mean GREAT things for future devices (i.e. Droid 2).

    Intel, Micron to Shrink NAND Flash to 25 nm - Reviews by PC Magazine
    not really "in time" for DROID2, since Moto has already admitted that something's in the works, most likely meaning the hardware has already been defined and built and they're going through testing.

    if it applied to anything, it would be DROID3 or 4.

    Quote Originally Posted by cb3FSU View Post
    I wonder if theyll ever be able to use the sd card as RAM the way some computers use a USB Thumb drive.
    that functionality is akin to your page file on your HD. using external storage as "RAM" is slower than anything internal. on a phone, i'd think this would be the last thing you'd want to do.
    Well, Im a computer dummy and have very little knowledge of how thing works and this proves it
  9. Droid Ninja
    640k's Avatar
    Member #
    565
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #8
    think about it this way:

    RAM (DDR3) can write at 12800 MB/s
    HDDs (SATA-III) can write at 6000 MB/s
    SDHC (Class 6) can write at 6 MB/s

    That's not to say today's phones have DDR3, but you can see an obvious difference in speed...
  10. Droid Sensei
    KZIWarrior's Avatar
    Member #
    21812
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,634
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cb3FSU View Post
    Well, Im a computer dummy and have very little knowledge of how thing works and this proves it
    Lol, fair enough, sorry for sounding a bit harsh. I've retracted the one comment. You'll get there it just takes some time. And admittedly I shouldn't be to hard there's probably very few people out there that understand what any of this means.

    604K - Great additions, thanks. And yeah the external RAM, well a cool concept isn't very functional. I'm interested to see if this new tech (the 25nm) increases or decreases the transfer rate potential (no mention of it). But with the possibility this offers it might be a moot point. This could lead to the ability to store MASSIVE amounts of memory right on the device. Having 'removable' memory is nice, but it all reality they could have put 16GB+ on the phone physically .
    Last edited by KZIWarrior; 02-01-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  11. Droid Ninja
    640k's Avatar
    Member #
    565
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cb3FSU View Post
    Well, Im a computer dummy and have very little knowledge of how thing works and this proves it
    Lol, fair enough, sorry for sounding a bit harsh. I've retracted the one comment. You'll get there it just takes some time. And admittedly I shouldn't be to hard there's probably very few people out there that understand what any of this means.

    604K - Great additions, thanks. And yeah the external RAM, well a cool concept isn't very functional. I'm interested to see if this new tech (the 25nm) increases or decreases the transfer rate potential (no mention of it). But with the possibility this offers it might be a moot point. This could lead to the ability to store MASSIVE amounts of memory right on the device. Having 'removable' memory is nice, but it all reality they could have put 16GB+ on the phone physically .
    in reality, there's no reason our phones couldn't have that capability now. it will just mean cooler operating temps in smaller packages. whether phones start utilizing more space or not will ultimately depend on the manufacturer.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Chip's Challenge
    By Dr. Tenma in forum Android Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 07:03 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 12:22 AM
  3. Is there a quality issue with the wifi chip in Droid?
    By voodoodaddy in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. Snesoid & FX Chip
    By Big Lou in forum Android Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
  5. Back on Droid2
    By Kemp in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Search tags for this page

droid2 chip

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+